"dry" suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arnaud once bubbled...
Do you have latex or neoprene seals?

If the seals are not properly positioned, it's very easy to get the seals to leak, especially latex. The other comments are all valid.

I have latex seals. I also have an attached latex hood that I think I might want to remove.

:beheaded:

I used to have problems with water coming in through the neck seal and found that the placement made a huge difference!

When I wore the seal up around the top of my neck (just under the chin) I would get some leakage down the front of the front of my suit. The comment someone made when I got out of the water was that it "looked like I peed myself while standing on my head!". :eek:

After I moved the seal down to the base of my neck, the leaking stopped. May have been a combination of my neck being larger there, and less movement when I turn to look at things.

I have also noticed that my wrist seals will sometimes leak when I grab onto something and bend my wrist forward. That causes the tendons on my inner arm to form a channel that can break the seal.

With proper fitting seals, it does not matter what movement you are making, the seal should hold. The previous post about a postive pressure test is a very good idea. Any leaks will be identified and can then be fixed if needed. Also, if you are using the dry suit for you buoyancy then you can get into issues with leaking. If you are in a vertical position, and add too much air to the suit, then air may escape throught the neck seal and water will enter. you should get comfortable with only having enough air in the suit to prevent a squeeze and to adequately insulate you. The BCD should be used to fine tune your buoyancy afterwards. This gives you proper trim and streamlining during your dive and adds an additional safety margin to the dive as well

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
If you are in a vertical position, and add too much air to the suit, then air may escape throught the neck seal and water will enter.

I definitely did this on one of my dives this past Saturday and got water in my suit. I realized it as it was happening...no substitute for experience, huh?
:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom