Dry suit- which to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heidihart88

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have recently taken the dry suit course and decided that since I live in Seattle it's time I bought one. When I first used one I had some bad problems with air in the feet because the first suit I rented was about a foot too long- it was a nice warm foan neoprene but like I said too big, then I tried a shell suit that fit right but was COLD- even with my snowboarding gear under it. Then I did a dive with a guy who had an Apollo neoprene suit with ankle valves. He loved it. I was ready to buy one BUT someone at a store that doesn't sell them told me the ankle valves are bad because they get sand in them and let out air if you are upside down. I thought that would be a good feature as I don't spend much of my diving time upside down....

Anyone out there with a dry suit they LOVE? What about a dry suit you HATE? Any advice would be great, I'd hate the spend the money and not be happy with it. Also the Apollo I'm looking at fit great- but hte neck was really TIGHT- the store that is selling it says it will loosen up- are they just "selling" me?

I love Viking.

My wife uses a Whites Fusion (lots of posts on that suit here). She loves it and many people up in your neck of the woods use them as well.

Just some points,

The neckseal (latex) yes it will loosen
ankle valves....The USA seems to be the only place where you can get these silly things.
Don't go for those.They leak more then they do any good.
Neoprone or trilam. well thats just what you like.
IMO trilam but I'm diving dry year round.So I just have to adept my undersuit.
Brands NOT to go with..... Northern Diver,they have a lot of issues with their seems.

Heidi,

By and large, most any material will keep you dry, but as 300 hit on, find reviews on the seals and zippers . . . these are the real deal makers/killers.

I guess I'm a new dry suit diver, only 3 years, but I have a Bare XCD-2 compressed neoprene that I really like . . . it's tough as nails and I dive in some harsh (read snags and puncture types) of environments. But to each her/his own.

Make sure you can get a good boot/sock fit.

Sooooo many subjective values to consider. I think most people generally just end up buying the most expensive that they can afford as their budget allows and then that's "the best".

No one ever wants to admit that they spent from $900 to $3000 and screwed up.

May your dives be dry . . . and safe,
. . . and your ascents safer !!!!

the K

You've asked a very common question here at Scubaboard.

I traveled all over North America on business for several years and took advantage of the time to look at as many brands of dry suits that I could find.

I was most impressed with the quality construction and finishing details of the DUI dry suits. Currently I am a happy owner of DUI TLS-350 Select.

My second choice would have been Whites. Recently I have also been impressed with the Dive Rite dry suit, although in general Dive Rite doesn't impress me.

Personally, I don't see the point of a neoprene dry suit. Seems like a dry suit made out of neoprene would negate most of the most reasons that I want a dry suit.

If you have small feet, you can go with a integral sock and then wear an over boat like the Rock Boot. If you have large feet, then its best to go with an integral boot.

If you were cold in a shell suit you probably didn't have the right undies. A shell suit doesn't have to be cold but it's just a fact that it has less insulating properties... If you are a person who gets cold easily the added bulk of some kind of neoprene suit may be worthwhile.

Having dived both 4mm compressed neoprene and a trilam, my preference is the shell suit by far. (I have the Pinnacle Evolution 2.)

If I was buying today, I would absolutely check out a Fusion. I may even sell my Evo and switch come tax rebate time.

I have to say I love my Northern Diver! The thing is pretty bullet proof, no seam probs here.
I also liked the viking suits I use to own, because they were sooo easy to repair! Plenty of room for insulation. Another suit I dive is a DUI Trilam 350, I like the flexability the suit offers.
See you topside! John

DUI does make excellent suits, but the price stings a bit.

Oh, I meant to tell the OP, budget for dry gloves. I suggest Diving Concepts or Viking based on testimonials I have read or heard. (I have Si-Techs and while they work and are cheaper, they are also harder to use.)

If you can afford it DUI is the only way to go. I was going to get a Diverite 905 but went with the DUI clx450. I have dove other suits and none even come close.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom