Dry suit valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You would be better off in the long run to sell the suit on Ebay or somewhere else and look for a used suit on ebay. The last suit I bought was new and 480 dollars. You could hit that easy messing around with your suit and still not have it right for your dives. Some things are worth fixing yourself but sometimes you have to look at if the cost to have something sort of work is worth the time and money.

oxyhacker:
And we haven't even started on the zipper.......

OK, how about this senerio. If the Dry Suit that I have will probably leak and doesent have any valves in it or booties. So what if I wear my full wet suit under it and let it fill with water when I am at the surface and mabey leave the Zipper open a couple of inches so that no air will get trapped in the suit. The water should warm up inside the suit and will give me an added issulation factor? I have to assume it would be better then wet suit alone and this should keep me from haveing any type of squeeze or bouyancey problem. The dry suit is very form fitting. it does not have a lot of extra room inside it and with my wet suit on under it should have even less. My full wet suit is only a 3mm suit(waterski type I just got into diveing and want to use some of what I already have) I relize that it will no longer be a "dry" suit but what I am looking for is a better exposure system overall with out haveing to retool. But I do not want to compremise saftey. If someone thinks this is not a good idea please let me know.
I am going to try on both suits tonight and see how they fit together.
thanks,
Bob

bobbenson:
OK, how about this senerio. If the Dry Suit that I have will probably leak and doesent have any valves in it or booties. So what if I wear my full wet suit under it and let it fill with water when I am at the surface and mabey leave the Zipper open a couple of inches so that no air will get trapped in the suit. The water should warm up inside the suit and will give me an added issulation factor? I have to assume it would be better then wet suit alone and this should keep me from haveing any type of squeeze or bouyancey problem. The dry suit is very form fitting. it does not have a lot of extra room inside it and with my wet suit on under it should have even less. My full wet suit is only a 3mm suit(waterski type I just got into diveing and want to use some of what I already have) I relize that it will no longer be a "dry" suit but what I am looking for is a better exposure system overall with out haveing to retool. But I do not want to compremise saftey. If someone thinks this is not a good idea please let me know.
I am going to try on both suits tonight and see how they fit together.
thanks,
Bob

I Tried on both suits together and they fit great. It wasent very hard to get the dry suit over the wet suit and the flexibility is not bad. A little bit much material at the knees and elbows if you try to squat down but no worse then a 7 mil wet suit. i m sure it would be a little more flexable if it was wet also. like I said in pevious post there is very little room left inside suit so there realy wont be much water in it. It is Also very easy to pull back neck seal to relive any air and let water in easly. I cant see were there is going to be a problem with this set up, if anyone can see something I am missing please advise.
thanks,
Bob

thanks,
Bob

Sigh. No Bob - you just go right ahead.

Look - with all due respect, everyone here has basically told you one thing - it's not worth doing. But you seem pretty insistent on doing it anyway. So why do you keep coming and looking for affirmation?

Do you need it spelled out for you? It's not going to work.

The material is wrong - and not designed for prolonged submersion. The zipper is the wrong type. The seals are wrong, or shouldn't exist in the first place.

Yes, you could go diving in it, but you can also duct tape some garbage bags around yourself and go diving in those, too. There is no point in going through all this. If all you want to do is minimize water transfer, get a good fitting wetsuit. Wrapping yourself in a barrier is not only inefficient, it's going to add drag and be a royal pain to lug around on dive sites. Plus, getting out of the water could be difficult, depending on how much water you're lugging around with you, PLUS, you'll have to take the entire thing off in between dives.

I understand a proper drysuit is expensive, but, if I can use a different analogy here, you're trying to enter a 1979 Plymouth Volare into a NASCAR race. Yes, they're both cars. No, one will not be any good on a race track.

Boogie711:
Sigh. No Bob - you just go right ahead.

Look - with all due respect, everyone here has basically told you one thing - it's not worth doing. But you seem pretty insistent on doing it anyway. So why do you keep coming and looking for affirmation?

Do you need it spelled out for you? It's not going to work.

The material is wrong - and not designed for prolonged submersion. The zipper is the wrong type. The seals are wrong, or shouldn't exist in the first place.

Yes, you could go diving in it, but you can also duct tape some garbage bags around yourself and go diving in those, too. There is no point in going through all this. If all you want to do is minimize water transfer, get a good fitting wetsuit. Wrapping yourself in a barrier is not only inefficient, it's going to add drag and be a royal pain to lug around on dive sites. Plus, getting out of the water could be difficult, depending on how much water you're lugging around with you, PLUS, you'll have to take the entire thing off in between dives.

I understand a proper drysuit is expensive, but, if I can use a different analogy here, you're trying to enter a 1979 Plymouth Volare into a NASCAR race. Yes, they're both cars. No, one will not be any good on a race track.

Sorry for asking a question, The reason I have come back looking for afirmation is I dont want to do anything that will be unsafe. Am I missing something that would be obvious to an experinced diver? I dont know, that is why I ask. I curentley have no dive buddies that I can bounce ideas off of and have them jokeingly tell me I am nuts.
I havent done anything with my equipment except think about how I could use what I already have safley. I havent bought any thing, made any mods or put myself in a unsafe situation. All I have done is try it on and ask some questions on a scuba board. I dident think I would get such a harsh resoponse for trying to think out side the box.
Another thing is I would never take any thing out diveing that I dident try out in a controled environment first no mater if it was new or old or home made or just a different configuration then I am used to and I would seek the advice of a profesional.
Takeing the idea to the pool and trying it out is what I had in mind. You know how much that would cost me. NOTHING which is what I have invested now. and maybe when I got back and said "that was a dumb idea" I just might of learned something. Thats what this board is all about isent it?
later,
Bob

I'm honestly sorry if that came off as too harsh. Trust me - you're not the one pissing off people on the board tonight. That honour goes to someone else.

It's just frustrating because there are some very accomplished divers here who are giving you very valid reasons as to WHY it won't work, and all we see in response is "but I'm doing it anyway."

I see you're from Albany... I don't know how far Dutch Springs, PA is from you, but I know there are a lot of Scubaboard members who go and hang out there. Maybe you can hook up with some people there and hang out for a weekend, get some diving, and like you said, 'bounce some crazy idea's off people.'

Boogie711:
I'm honestly sorry if that came off as too harsh. Trust me - you're not the one pissing off people on the board tonight. That honour goes to someone else.

It's just frustrating because there are some very accomplished divers here who are giving you very valid reasons as to WHY it won't work, and all we see in response is "but I'm doing it anyway."

I see you're from Albany... I don't know how far Dutch Springs, PA is from you, but I know there are a lot of Scubaboard members who go and hang out there. Maybe you can hook up with some people there and hang out for a weekend, get some diving, and like you said, 'bounce some crazy idea's off people.'

Yea, I kind of have to figure things out for my self some times. I do appreciate all the advice. I just have so many questions and I cant get information fast enough.
I live about 4 hours away from dutch springs. My LDS takes trips there regularly. I plan on going. I want to try to hook up with some divers local so I can start gaining experience.
I am currntly trying to buy my own equipment and the $$ are adding up fast. The water is so cold in my area which I am sure you are aware of that I wont be able to go diveing until July. That is why I have had so many questions about my Dry suit. My wet suit is not adequate for diveing it is too thin. So I will probably buy a 7 mil wet suit and mabey a dry suit next year
thanks
Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom