Dry suit undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

306dive306

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Call me cheap if you will but i have to question the cost of very thin undergarments.

Fourth Element, BARE, and other brands are all $300-400.

What the heck?!

Has anyone tried to dive in “not-so-cold waters” (around 25C; 75F) wearing regular fleece pants and shirts?

cheers!

Call me cheap if you will but i have to question the cost of very thin undergarments.

Fourth Element, BARE, and other brands are all $300-400.

What the heck?!

Has anyone tried to dive in “not-so-cold waters” (around 25C; 75F) wearing regular fleece pants and shirts?

cheers!
I buy my Morino Wool base layer from Costco and use my old military polypro and polar fleece depending on the water temperatures.

I’ve done a number of dives in 50F water using multiple layers of 250gr Smart Wool with a Thermolution heated vest and the Fourth Element X-Core vest. Base layer was REI thin polypro.

For 25C in a drysuit I would use just the Morino wool base layer (Costco) in my dry suit; I use a compressed neoprene dry suit.

I often dive in some cheap fleece pants I got years ago from the hunting section of walmart. I wear either running tights or polypro type wicking base layer under them. On top I often wear a polypro wicking top with an old eddie bower or LL bean fleece pullover over it. This gets me through most of the fall and early winter, and then I return to using it as things begin to thaw out in the spring. I have other layers as the water gets colder, and fornthe coldest temps I have a Thermal Fusion standing by, but have only used it twice that I recall because I find it too warm for anything hut extreme cold temps.

-Z

Normal cheap fleece/wool stuff works 90% of the time. When you need that last 10%, it costs a lot more...

Darn Tough Mountaineering Micro Crew Wool Socks 1953 model

Minus33 Merino Wool 230 g/m Bottom
or
Minus33 Merino Wool 706 Kancamagus Men’s Midweight Bottom

Minus33 Merino Wool 230 g/m Top
or
Minus33 Merino Wool 705 Chocorua Men's Midweight Crew

I use a Decathlon hunting fleece for warmer water, and the Avatar undersuit for everything else.
And if it's really cold, I double up, both fleece and undersuit.

The fleece was arround 20eur, and the undersuit is 190eur.

Imho, the best undersuit you can get, since it's not absurdly expensive.

I often dive in some cheap fleece pants I got years ago from the hunting section of walmart. I wear either running tights or polypro type wicking base layer under them. On top I often wear a polypro wicking top with an old eddie bower or LL bean fleece pullover over it. This gets me through most of the fall and early winter, and then I return to using it as things begin to thaw out in the spring. I have other layers as the water gets colder, and fornthe coldest temps I have a Thermal Fusion standing by, but have only used it twice that I recall because I find it too warm for anything hut extreme cold temps.

-Z

I love my Thermal Fusion! It's an expensive undergarment for sure, but that thing is toasty! It makes gearing up on hot summer days a sweaty affair, but it's nice when I'm doing a long day of multiple dives and the water temps are in the 50s or lower. I tend to run on the cold side while diving, though.

I love my Thermal Fusion! It's an expensive undergarment for sure, but that thing is toasty! It makes gearing up on hot summer days a sweaty affair, but it's nice when I'm doing a long day of multiple dives and the water temps are in the 50s or lower. I tend to run on the cold side while diving, though.

Infind it very comfy to wear but I find it too warm for anything above 46F (@8C)...and the air temp needs to be cool as well as warm air temp with a thermal fusion is like asking for heat exhaustion. I dive a semi-dry for those occasions where the air temp is gonna cause me to sweat a lot before I get in the water. If the are temp is super warm and the water temp is super cold then Instart to consider the juice aint worth the squeeze.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom