Dry Suit Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikecotrone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am the proud owner of a White's Fusion Bullet with MK2 undergarments. I have learned so much on SB so i figured i would ask for your advice on new owner tips. Thank you in advance.

My LDS is also giving me a class (sorry forgot to post originally) and i will be practicing in our quarry this winter.

Last edited:
take a class all the advice on sb is great but you must have a base of knowledge to inturpet the info you get and so often pool time is over looked in drysuit training and if you can fly a drysuit in 6 ft of water you can fly it ant where and a good instructor is worth 100 free post dont skimp on your safety TAKE A CLASS be safe hope to see you in the water

I have very few dives in a dry suit, but when I first learned how to use one, the instructor suggested swimming around at the end of the dive trying to hold myself at 15' exactly to get the hang of the bouyancy characteristics. I thought with hindsight that was pretty good advice - it is much harder to hold your depth in shallow water than in deep.

take a class all the advice on sb is great but you must have a base of knowledge to inturpet the info you get and so often pool time is over looked in drysuit training and if you can fly a drysuit in 6 ft of water you can fly it ant where and a good instructor is worth 100 free post dont skimp on your safety TAKE A CLASS be safe hope to see you in the water

Yes i forgot to post originally i am taking a class with an excellent instructor. Thankyou!

I am the proud owner of a White's Fusion Bullet. I have learned so much on SB so i figured i would ask for your advice on new owner tips. Thank you in advance.

My LDS is also giving me a class (sorry forgot to post originally) and i will be practicing in our quarry this winter.

Zipper wax. Often. Like before every dive day. You can't wax too much.

I'm also a big fan of Seal Saver

Seal Saver at www.DiveSeekers.com

Seal_Saver.jpg

When starting out, I'd recommend running a minimum amount of gas inside the suit, just enough to offset squeeze. A smaller drysuit bubble makes it easier to control ascents and achieve horizontal trim. It will take some time to become comfortable managing two separate buoyancy devices (BCD and drysuit). As others have suggested, practicing in the shallows is a great learning exercise for buoyancy control. During ascent, stay ahead of the expanding bubble inside the suit by venting early and often. Your instructor will show you how to do this. In the class, you'll learn how to deal with runaway feet-first ascents, stuck inflater valves, and blocked exhaust valves. Ask lots of questions about drysuit maintenance. Know that latex seals and your dry zipper (wax both inner and outer teeth) require extra care. It's helpful to have someone assist with trimming your neck and wrist seals if you have the popular latex variety.

As you become more comfortable operating the drysuit, feel free to experiment with running different amounts of gas inside the suit. This will give you an appreciation for the additional freedom of movement that comes with a larger drysuit bubble. Don't overdo it, though, and impersonate the Michelin man. Be forewarned that certain drysuit + undergarment combinations may have issues with exhausting gas expeditiously. With the relatively shallow dives that I've been doing recently (max. depth 60 fsw), I've found that, for my combination of shell drysuit + undergarment, adding enough gas to offset squeeze is just about enough for adequate buoyancy control. This simplifies ascents since I only have to dump gas from my drysuit. :)

Do a weight check with your drysuit + undergarment combo. Understand that how much gas you're running inside your suit will factor into determining your minimum weighting requirements.

Be patient. To really feel comfortable in the drysuit, you'll need to do 50+ dives with it. At that point, adding/dumping gas will become second nature.

From what I've seen, experienced wetsuit divers who have good buoyancy control and excellent horizontal trim tend to pick up drysuit diving the fastest. Good luck with your new suit!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom