Dry Suit Squeeze on Pressure Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_frog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Pinnacle Evo 2 custom dry suit. First dive was perfect...weighting, buoyancy, everything. Water was VERY warm and I was probably overdressed with my undergarment. We took a long break and then did a night dive. During the break, I did drink water. We did a surface swim to the decent point. Started out decent. At about 10 ft, I got this excruciating pain in my left inner groin muscle. I went back to the surface. It didn't go away. I laid flat on my back and got air into my legs. That helped a lot. I waited a bit and tried again. I was at the surface with my legs dangling. Same thing happened. I aborted the dive. This is the 2nd time it has happened to me. I'm sure I was somewhat dehydrated, but the squeeze seemed to hit a pressure point on the inside of my leg. What can I do to try and eliminate the squeeze on the pressure point. I know more air would help, but that means more weight. I was thinking about compression shorts. Could they help? With the added compression, would that have any effect on off gassing and DCI. Thanks for your comments.

Did it feel like a wet towel wrapped around your crotch being twisted by a stick?

Put air in your suit and get back to me with an apple.

Unclump your undergarments.

Last edited:
Did it feel like a wet towel wrapped around your crotch being twisted by a stick?

More like a knife. I never felt pain like that before.

If this is related to the dry suit, then rearranging the undergarments and keeping more air in the suit are the solution.

But this seems very strange as a symptom of drysuit compression. A knifelike pain in the groin makes me think more of issues with the hips -- are you old enough to have osteoarthritis in your hips, or to have disc problems?

If this is related to the dry suit, then rearranging the undergarments and keeping more air in the suit are the solution.

But this seems very strange as a symptom of drysuit compression. A knifelike pain in the groin makes me think more of issues with the hips -- are you old enough to have osteoarthritis in your hips, or to have disc problems?

I'm 50 and so far no signs of any hip or back issues. Main reason I thought it was suit squeeze is that when I inflated myself to look like the Michelin man, pain subsided until I dropped air and lowered my feet. As soon as there was any kind of pressure, the pain came back. That's why I was thinking maybe compression shorts may help the pinching. As an FYI, the pain is about 6" up from my knee right along the femoral artery...at least that's what it looks like from researching online.

Sound like the feeling I get when I get a sudden cramp due to the compression in my dry suit. When it happens it's always right on the inside of the thigh, and only in my drysuit

Sound like the feeling I get when I get a sudden cramp due to the compression in my dry suit. When it happens it's always right on the inside of the thigh, and only in my drysuit

So what do you do to eliminate the cramp once it happens or what advance preparation do you do to make sure it does not happen.

There are a couple of sets of nerves that run over the pointy front bits of your hips. One set runs down your thighs at 10 and 2 o'clock, and the other around into your groin.
Pressure from weight belts or utility belts or squeezing can cause pain or numbness in these areas. The same can occur in reverse. It is prevalent with cops and those types that wear those things.
These things do not occur with everybody and some prefer not to talk about it.
Excuse me, for not completing my answer last time. I got lost.

Back
Top Bottom