dry suit sizing for women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Selchie in LB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am wondering if dry suit sizing really varies between mens and womens suits? I am tall 5'10" and skinny about 145. I don't have exact measurements not going down that road here.

I ask because I would like to get a dry suit and sorry dealers and LDS I will probably go used if I can to save some of the green stuff. I don't feel comfortable going to the shop and trying various suits on and then say "Oh great that suit I saw on Scubaboard will fit. Thanks"

Good luck on that! I've had three sent to me that were 'supposedly' my size, and they were all too large.

Have you gone to a shop and tried some on? That would be the most reliable means to find out your size. Someday, I'm going to do just that! :)

I don't feel comfortable going to the shop and trying various suits on and then say "Oh great that suit I saw on Scubaboard will fit. Thanks"

See that's just it Jax! Like stated I hate to go in and try on suit after suit find the right one and then tell the LDS sorry when you can sell it to me for the price I can get on scubaboard I'll pick it up!

Selchie, I like your ethics!

I think the biggest differences in men's and women's suits are the size of the boots for a given size suit, and a little bit of the cut (and the just plain availability of smaller sizes). You may be just fine with a man's suit that is advertised as fitting your height and weight, but you might have to get different boots.

Try on a number of drysuits in different shops....if they ask, just tell them that you're looking into a drysuit and are trying to get an idea of what might work for you so you can save up for it. Also, some shops do sell used suits, so you could always ask.

I know PW sells only DUI and Diving Concepts....both are good suits. But also consider a Whites Fusion (Beach Cities Scuba stocks them in their Dana Point store). The Fusions are great suits and are relatively inexpensive....plus, they come up for sale on the forums (for good prices) occasionally.

Some manufacturers have demo days, and have booths at certain dive shows. Maybe you can find something like that near you?

Henrik

There usually are gender sizing differences for most manufacturers, but not necessarily significant depending on the person.

In any event, actually checking the fit of the suit will be very important.

It might save you some time by first figuring out what suits are acceptable to you. Then check the manufacturer's sizing chart and, if possible, find a suit of the "right" size to try on before committing to buy. Bring along an experienced drysuit diver to help you judge fit.

Of course, getting some sizing tips on ScubaBoard will help, too.... :)

Some sizing charts are available in the links below.

Sizing Information for DUI Drysuits and DiveWear - Diving Unlimited International

Scuba diving gear Dry Suits Dry Suits at Scuba.com

Good luck! Diving dry (and warm) is definitely worth the effort and expense! :D

Dave C

See that's just it Jax! Like stated I hate to go in and try on suit after suit find the right one and then tell the LDS sorry when you can sell it to me for the price I can get on scubaboard I'll pick it up!

There's ethics and there's economics. If you cannot afford new, you can't afford it. A good shop won't have a problem with that, because they want you to remember them when you do finally buy new.

Also, as many others have said, they may have some used ones. Don't hold your breath . . . :(

I don't want to sound like a dealer, but have you looked at DUI? I say DUI because the majority of the employees at DUI are women, the CEO/President of DUI, Susan Long is very nice lady to talk to. You are not too far from the factor in San Diego, I bet they would show you around.

I brought DUI, because a bunch of women probably know what you want. Do you really think a bunch of guys know?

I don't want to sound like a dealer, but have you looked at DUI? I say DUI because the majority of the employees at DUI are women, the CEO/President of DUI, Susan Long is very nice lady to talk to. You are not too far from the factor in San Diego, I bet they would show you around.

I brought DUI, because a bunch of women probably know what you want. Do you really think a bunch of guys know?

They do surprise me occasionally:blinking:

As for the factory, wow great thought!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom