dry suit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all4scuba05

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
about to go out and buy a drysuit...want to dive new england as much as possible...just rec diving...do latex seals make a big difference, heard that neoprene will leak around neck and wrists...can wet gloves keep my hands warm or will they still freeze , and if so at what temp...or should i get integrated dry gloves and boots/booties...i'm looking at an Oneil 7000x...one year old with integrated dry boots no gloves or hood

all4scuba05:
about to go out and buy a drysuit...want to dive new england as much as possible...just rec diving...do latex seals make a big difference, heard that neoprene will leak around neck and wrists...can wet gloves keep my hands warm or will they still freeze , and if so at what temp...or should i get integrated dry gloves and boots/booties...i'm looking at an Oneil 7000x...one year old with integrated dry boots no gloves or hood

Seals (neoprene or latex) will leak if they don't fit properly. Neoprene seals (especially on the neck) do tend to be warmer and they aren't prone to leaking if they fit.

Personally I like dry gloves. I'll never wear wet gloves again but dry gloves do take some getting used to because your sense of touch is seriously hampered by the gloves.

R..

My own personal experience is that a 6 mil hood and 5 mil gloves are adequate in 40f water for about a half hour and 50f for over an hour. Hands always getting cold first. I have a neoprene neck seal and have found it to be warmer and more comfortable than latex. So far no leaks, but I only have about 20 dives on it. I have heard that they stretch out over time and leak a little, but nothing major. I bought a dry glove system that works with existing latex wrist seals, but it is more hassel than its worth (for me anyway)until the water gets below 45f. Check Divetank.com for great deals on drysuits. Richard will make sure it fits you and the type of diing you are doing. You can get a nice suit and undergarments for around $700 or less, depending on what you want.

A hood is 100% essential so make sure you buy one.

Most drysuits have integrated boots these days.

Seals a lot come down to personal preference. Id pay a lot of money to avoid neoprene seals, others think differently. Ive tried wet and dry gloves and have settled on 5mm neoprene wet gloves as my weapon of choice in winter (3mm in summer).

Diver0001:
Seals (neoprene or latex) will leak if they don't fit properly. Neoprene seals (especially on the neck) do tend to be warmer and they aren't prone to leaking if they fit.

Personally I like dry gloves. I'll never wear wet gloves again but dry gloves do take some getting used to because your sense of touch is seriously hampered by the gloves.

R..

I dive with an O'Neill Neoprene drysuit with the integrated boots and neoprene seals. This past winter I had the Diving Concepts neoprene dry gloves installed and they are awesome. I too would never return to wet gloves. I have never had neck or wrist seal problems with this suit.

--Matt

I dive my suit year round. I prefer latex seals and neoprene 5mm gloves. For winter diving 20-30 degree air and 35 degree water. I carry 2 pair of gloves and put on nice dry ones for the 2nd dive. Winter dives are usually about a half hour and my hands a chilled by then.

Neoprene wrists are comfortable but I have no neck so I hate neoprene necks. But I know alot of people who love neoprene neck seals personal preference.
Dave

thanks guys...looks like i might go for the oneil neoprene with wet 5mm gloves and maybe upgrade to dry in the future...one more question...drysuit made of 7mm neoprene or the one makde like a shell? whats the advantage or disadvantage?

thanks guys...looks like i might go for the oneil neoprene with wet 5mm gloves and maybe upgrade to dry gloves in the future...one more question...drysuit made of 7mm neoprene or the one made like a shell? whats the advantage or disadvantage?

shell is lighter, and dries quicker, and had less bouyancy swing as you go deeper. Neoprene is more streamlines, and is warmer...

thanks...i take it 6 days is good enough time to dry the neoprene suit...i chill easily...and i like the idea of being more streamlined

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom