Dry Suit - Questions on going Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjchandler:
Well .. no. If the vent is shut down it could be an uncontrolled ESA. Unless you are like the guy I met who did an entire DUI Demo dive without adding air to his suit because no one told him he was supposed to. :)

I'm planning on diving with the vent open. However if we are following the bottom up, I seriously doubt that all of a sudden, I will rocket to the surface. More like trapped air in a BC, I will be fighting a bit to stay down, and I'll have to vent any air in the suit to stay down comfortably.

I'm planning for the worst, but in reality I think while MIGHT be uncomfortable with the parts of the dive, I think it will go OK. I also have a buddy who is very aware that this is my first Dry dive, and will help me out if need be.

One of my biggest issues is weight. I posted about what I may need to add to stay down, but have not really received any helpful replies. I will also purchase the drysuit book this weekend, so that may answer some questions.

rjchandler:
Well .. no. If the vent is shut down it could be an uncontrolled ESA. Unless you are like the guy I met who did an entire DUI Demo dive without adding air to his suit because no one told him he was supposed to. :)
And survived the dive, didn't he? Because I think we generally add more air to the DS than necessary.

I like a nice tight suit, unless I need the air for insulation. The less air in the suit, the better, IMHO, YMMV.

Ron, I would find a mentor to dive with you a couple of times, and then you should be good to go!

jiveturkey:
That thing is just plain kewl. I can't wait to hit the hardware store. :jump013:

I'm planning on making one for my wetsuit. Don't bother looking for the same blower used in the article; I've already searched and found out it's not in the catalog anymore.

If you wear a computer on the same arm as your dump valve, you may have to look at it slightly lower than normal without venting. Not a big deal, but it may give you trim problems on the first few dives.

Some will tell you to use your suit and BC inflator at depth, others will say only the suit. The first few dives, I would use only the suit. You can decide which approach is best after you understand how the suit behaves.

Hold the neck seal open and squat to let out excess air before you jump in. Otherwise you will be a cork from too much air.

Take a dry diver with you and he/she will help you with a host of things like this. That is why the class is usually reccomended.

Dearman:
Some will tell you to use your suit and BC inflator at depth, others will say only the suit. The first few dives, I would use only the suit. You can decide which approach is best after you understand how the suit behaves.
IMO this is terrible advice. THE cause for newbies ending up in feet-first ascents is using their drysuits as buoyancy devices.

If you keep the squeeze on, you have to pay a little more attention to managing two airspaces, but you all but eliminate the incredible trim problems and runaway ascents common to drysuit newbies.

Boogie711:
Geez everyone - repeat after me. A drysuit keeps you dry. A Buoyancy Compensator compensates for buoyancy.

Any questions?
Hey, come on. Give 'em a break. This the first time this has come up...

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom