dry suit pocket zipper or velcro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe R.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just got a new dui se-200. I'm adding a halcyon bellows pocket and while I have a zippered bellows on my outer hips wet suit, I'm leaning toward the velcro for my drysuit. Anyone have experiences with the velcro? I'd also be interested in hearing about using aqua seal for gluing the pocket on. Thanks.

I purchsed my velcro drysuit pockets from h2oadventuregear.com for $30 each. I used Mcnett seam cement from the local dive shop purchased for $5. If you install 2 pockets your going to need 2 tubes of it. The halcyon web page will give you instructions on how to install them. They came out really nice. Ive never used the zipper type but the velcro type work really nice when you have big thick neoprene gloves on.

I personally use the velcro type pockets on my drysuit, I dont believe the zipper type would be good for tech diving, however I have never used zipper, but due to personal experiences with a zipper, sometimes its hard to get it to work, especially with one hand. I hope this helps.

Sorry … but I just had to do it. I just had to throw in a vote for us zipper lovers.

I use zippered pockets and I place small electrical ties through the hole in the zipper pull tab. This makes it easy for me to locate and operate the zipper with thick gloved hands.

Dive Safe ……………Arduous

the *problem* with zippers is that they CAN jam.

the *problem* with velcro is that it can stick to the
material of your gloves/mitts depending on the material.

Originally posted by Arduous
Sorry … but I just had to do it. I just had to throw in a vote for us zipper lovers.

Arduous,

I carry multiple things in my pockets each with its own bolt snap clipped off to a loop if bungee in the pocket. When I want to get something out often times more than one item comes out and I unclip the one I want and stuff the rest back into the pocket. I have to do this by feel with one hand (or the other) and cannot see my pocket. With a zipper would there be any danger of getting items caught in the zip? For instance a portion of lift bag material or the strap of a mask?

BTW did you ever post to the *how I got my name* thread?

Originally posted by Green_Manelishi
the *problem* with velcro is that it can stick to the
material of your gloves/mitts depending on the material.

Fortunately not to the dry gloves that I use....
And not to any of the wet gloves I have used....
But that would really be a pain if you had velcro bands on your mitts....

Hi Uncle Pug:

I too can not see my pocket when diving. It is mounted in front of me on the lower portion of my Zeagle Tech BC. Like a belly pack. The particular pocket I’m using right now comes from OMS and has two separate zippered compartments. I do not keep a lot of things in these compartments. A dive slate, a pair cutting shears, a ( 3rd ) flashlight ( a small Ikelite PCa ) and other small items as needed. At 1st I could not find and or manipulate the zipper pull tabs. So I took plastic self locking electrical ties and threaded them through the hole in the pull tab. I formed a loop about the size of a silver dollar and trimmed off the excess. I found that this was an easy way for me to locate and operate the zippers on my pocket, even with the heavy gloves I wear here in Massachusetts. It has worked well for me. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against velcro , I like and own many dive related product that employ velcro in some form or fashion. But for my pockets, I just feel that my items are more secure, when they are zippered in.

Oh and yes I replied to the ( How you got your name thread )
Mines was given to me years ago by one of my superiors at the time. He stated that I was truly Arduous to deal with. (Why)….. that’s for another thread J

You take car, Dive Safe …………………..Arduous

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom