Dry Suit Inflation System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gerardnealon

Contributor
Reaction score
I was curious how much air most people use in their drysuit during a dive. I understand a lot depends on depth and temperature. I guess I am just looking for ball park answers. I am interested in knowing how much air I can save by purchasing a seperate tank for the dry suit and also what size tank would be a safe purchase. Thanks.

Gerard

For typical rec dives, it's almost negligible. 6 cf is a popular size for the guys who go deep, and even then I hear they typically last more than one dive.

I wouldn't bother unless you're putting helium in your tanks, then you'll probably want something warmer like air or argon.

jonnythan:
For typical rec dives, it's almost negligible. 6 cf is a popular size for the guys who go deep, and even then I hear they typically last more than one dive.

I wouldn't bother unless you're putting helium in your tanks, then you'll probably want something warmer like air or argon.

I was actually throwing the idea around for argon because it gets quite cold up here in the winter. The only problem is, I dont know any place that fills argon.

Depending on who you ask, argon has basically no greater insulating qualities than air. I haven't tried it, but I think if you're getting cold you should be wearing better or more undergarments. A simple fleece vest does a bunch.

I heard the same thing from someone else also. I am not getting real cold but I am not very warm either. I dive with the DUI 300g fleece undergarments which work pretty well. When I hit below 40 I can tell a little. Good idea on the fleece vest. You know of any particular good ones?

Go to your local outdoor goods store. Hell, even try the army/navy store and get a second layer of fleece for the really cold days.

The main reason that people use Argon is not when diving air, its when diving helium which is a FAR more efficient gas at transfering heat and therefore makes a diver much colder breathing it AND conducts heat away from the body if used to fill the drysuit.

There is a theoretical difference between it and air but as stated above, some people cant tell any difference at all. Its main use is in mix gas diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom