Dry Suit Inflation Set Up!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

busraider1

Reaction score
Okay, I'm ready to take that next step into the world of "DRY".... I think i have the make, model, and ?'s all answered except for this one? For a pony bottle dry suit inflation system what 1st stage whould i be purchasing, since all i need is a LP connector, wouldn't it be wise to buy the cheapest one i can find.? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

All you REALLY need is a lp hose connected to the first stage from which you are breathing! The amount of air/nitrox you use in your suit is negligible. Keep it simple.

theskull

Get used to the drysuit mechanics first before you worry about an argon inflation system, if that's what you have in mind. Unless you're diving trimix in cold water though, you should be ok with running the LP hose off your first stage.
The stuff starts getting really complicated when you have two stage bottles, an argon inflation system, an HID light, a camera rig - gearing up turns into a NASA shuttle flight checklist.

I definitely agree with the group on this one - keep it simple.

I've heard it said that Ar won't even help you all that much unless you're into trimix etc in the first place. Don't know about that but it has been said.

If you do go the pony route, don't forget the OPV, for Heaven's sake.

I'm considering the same thing. What I've found for advice is that you should have a first stage that allows you to detune the IP, and you should consider how you're going to get the reg maintained. Also, even with an OPV, I wouldn't want a reg that would be prone to upwards IP creep since if that happened and the drysuit valve gave out before the OPV that'd be a bad day...

I'm considering the same issues, and I'm probably going to go with a DIN apeks DS4 on the argon bottle -- even though it adds cost, i figure it'll be worth it over time when I can get it maintained and when it doesn't cause aborted dives.

YMMV.

I wouldn't fool with the drysuit argon tank setup.

I dive dry all the time in both doubles and singles and have no problem with just a lp inflator hose off the 1st stage.

If you're worried about losing body heat just add an extra pair of wool socks and another layer of thinsulate.

This is a lot less expensive, less to pack around and nothing to break.
Want to make a good investment add a pee valve on your new suit.

Jim

Jim Baldwin:
I wouldn't fool with the drysuit argon tank setup.

I dive dry all the time in both doubles and singles and have no problem with just a lp inflator hose off the 1st stage.

If you're worried about losing body heat just add an extra pair of wool socks and another layer of thinsulate.

This is a lot less expensive, less to pack around and nothing to break.
Want to make a good investment add a pee valve on your new suit.

Jim

As do I - which works just fine until you add helium. If you have helium in your backgas, you'll need a separate inflation system. I think I saw a statistic floating around here which pointed out that Helium is 6 times less 'insulative' than air. Argon is roughly 1.3 times MORE insulative than air.

But I don't have the link, so hey - go do what you want. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom