Dry Suit Hanger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mavjax

Reaction score
JUst got my new Bare NexGen Dry suit. The manual suggests hanging the suit for storage and talks about making your own hanger from 3 or 4 inch diameter pipe.

What does everyone else use for storing their drysuits?
Thanks.

mavjax:
JUst got my new Bare NexGen Dry suit. The manual suggests hanging the suit for storage and talks about making your own hanger from 3 or 4 inch diameter pipe.

Thanks.

I usually only use a drysuit hanger after cleaning my suit. Once the suit is dry i like to wax the zipper(stored w/zipper open) and talc the seals then roll it up and place the suit inside the included bag. I aslo like to place that bag inside of a large trash bag and squeeze all the air out of it and put someplace safe like in the closet away from any ozone such as heaters, gasoline, etc.

If you are diving often that may not be a option for you. In that case get a good quality drysuit hanger or make your own out of pvc pipe and rope and do not store the suit near any heaters or out in your garage around containers of gasoline and oil, etc. Being that your nex gen is a back zip you may want to go the pvc route and drape the suit over it that way there is no added strain on the zipper compared to using a normal hanger which is probably minimal anyhow.

I have one of those thick black hagers from the LDS. I leave mine hanging till dry - if not longer - then put it back in my DS bag.

My 2 cents....

You can make a hanger from PVC pipe 3" or 4" in diameter, with holes drilled in the center for a piece of rope to go through, to hang it by. If you are going to hang it make sure the feet are sitting on the floor, this helps to remove stress on the zipper while it's hanging. It won't hurt the suit if it's left hanging, aspecially a Nex Gen because they are such a light suit. Always leave the zipper open unless you are using it or you are washing it.

I have a section of 3" pvc pipe appx 5' long with a rope through it, so I can hang it a couple feet from the ceiling. I hang the suit over the middle, zipper side up. I also move it around a bit as it dries so the boots get some air too. After that I fold it as instructed in the storage bag so it can have some air circulation.

I don't hang it by the shoulders. It is a Bare commercial tri-lam.

mavjax:

Thanks.

Depends on the suit. Hanging the suit over a piece of pipe is a good idea with a neoprene suit as you want t avoid any creases or sustained compression of the neoprene. They are also relatively heavy and hanging by the boots with a dry suit hanger puts too much strain on them.

A trilam or other type of shell suit on the other hand should be rolled and bagged after it is dry.

I have a neoprene suit. My suit does not usually get fully dry before I use it again. I rinse it, turn it in side out right down to the boots (so they will dry), then lay it over a drying rack (essentially a thick plastic pipe structure). Once the inside is dry, if I have the time, I'll turn it rightside out and lay it on the drying rack again. Once fully dry I roll it up and store it in the bag. I wax the zipper before the next use.

I never liked the idea of a hangar to stress the seals and zipper.

--Matt

DA Aquamaster:
Depends on the suit. Hanging the suit over a piece of pipe is a good idea with a neoprene suit as you want t avoid any creases or sustained compression of the neoprene. They are also relatively heavy and hanging by the boots with a dry suit hanger puts too much strain on them.

A trilam or other type of shell suit on the other hand should be rolled and bagged after it is dry.
I have a Whites Nexis, and am told to always leaving it hanging open when not in use. It's very light, the boots are separate and there seems to be very little strain on the zipper.
I never bag it unless I'm taking it onto a boat to dress later. I just lay it in back of the SUV.

That is on my wish list. However, it is necessary for trilam suit because the suit used to be dried so quickly? How do you keep the trilam suit at home? Just hang it or what?

scubatoys:
And if you don't want to make one... you could get a Drysuit Hanger

Back
Top Bottom