Dry Suit first use - what's the big deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NuttyGambler

Reaction score
OK last night I used my new TLS350SE for the first time in shallow lake water, went to a max depth of 18 ft.

With the valve turned about a quarter turn off of wide open, I don't understand what the big deal is with a dry suit, it seemed pretty easy. Didn't really experience this big squeeze either. What am I missing? I mean it was snug against me, but nothing that was uncomforable in any shape or form. I gave it a little squirt of air when near the bottom, but mostly because I thought I should rather then felt I had to.

I used the BC for bouyancy.

I am using 800gm/yard polar fleace for undergarments. One layer for bottom, two layers on the top. (Way too much for this shallow, but doing Lake Superior this weekend and wanted to use the same as I will there).

I did not use much weight either. Fred's 9lb SSBP, a poured in grove weight in the BP at about 6 pounds and then about 5 lbs on a belt. (20lbs total) I weigh about 180 lbs at 6'0.

Am I doing something wrong or am I just doing it right? Thanks in advance.

Only thing I noticed is the 27lb lift of the Pioneer seems a little overloaded at the surface without adding a little air to the drysuit. It kept me up, but barely without finning. So to me that means the underwear isn't very plus bouyant.

Nah, you're not doing anything "wrong"...
But write again after you've had it to over 100'
Rick

Saturday I forgot to connect my suit inflator and we were dropping in for a 115 fsw dive... I didn't notice until 30'... by the time I got to 50' it was plugged in, gas had been added to the suit and life was good again. Except for the wet spot on my chest.

The amount of gas you need in the suit to overcome excessive squeeze at 115 fsw becomes an issue on the way back up. It is a minor issue if you know how to handle it... it is a major issue if you don't.

Have fun this weekend in the lake.

BTW my 27# wing is enough to float the rig in Salt but I think I would be using a 36# wing in fresh.

Well will this weekend. I just wanted to check things out well before getting brave. (Max depth in our small lake is only about 22ft currently) As to school ya, so what good is a 10ft pool?

Well good, thanks for the info. So at least I know that it is something to give a squirt every 10 ft or so rather then monitor like you do your ears on the decent. As to the accent, keep it slow, keep left arm up and stay in control.

Thanks again. Do know I will be loving it being dry vs the COLD, COLD water of a wetsuit this weekend.

Yes, Unc, I think you are right, that extra 5 lbs on my belt makes all the difference which would also be about the diff between fresh vs salt. Will just need to be a little more aware of it when diving fresh.

I suggest you get some good tutoring from either an Instructor who is credentialed in teaching Drysuit courses or someone similarly knowledgeable in using a drysuit.

1) Do this BEFORE you go to Lake Superior! One session is not enough training before setting off on a full-fledged dive. There are many things that CAN happen in Drysuit; it's NOT just a passive piece of equipment you put on like a pair of fins. Learn to use it safely & effectively right from the start and you'll have no problems, mon.

2) Do it in either confined water or confined water-like conditions (eg: good vis, has a shallow & deep area, etc.).

Drysuits rule!!! :royal:

~SubMariner~

This weekend is for my AOW, and I guess so far I'm the only one in the actual class part, so will be one on one with an instructor so plan on being honest with the instructor about being new to the dry suit.

Will not get a card for drysuit out of the deal, but should have someone to answer any questions or correct me if I am doing anything wrong.

Also plan on diving again tonight with a group which has a couple dry suit folks. (including an instructor)

BTW: I did not just put this on like a pair of fins, have read everything I can on them. (MUCH OF IT CONTRIDICTORY)

I just got a drysuit this year. I spent a morning in the pool with an instructor and then did 4 dives at the quarry before I felt comfortable with the suit. It still took me several more dives to get me to the point I was when diving wet.

Outside of the great advise I read on here as well as what I got from the instructor, the best training I receive was how to get out of being inverted. In the pool, the instructor had me hold onto the drain grate and fill my suit with air untill I was being pulled up feet first. I then had to let go, tuck into a roll and deflate my suit before I hit the surface. It was almost impossible in the 12' pool but he had me do it over and over. When we dove at the quarry he had me do it twice off of the platform at 25'. Now, even though I use the BC, not the drysuit for bouyancy, I feel confident I can recover from a inadvertant ride to the surface.

Ty

Did speak with my AOW instructor (who is PADI) about the dry suit. He is going to incorporate one of the elective dives concentrating on the dry suit. I asked him his opinion on what he teaches as far as bouyency control, and he doesn't agree with PADI either, and teaches minimum air in the dry suit.

After talking to three different LDS owners in three different agencies. SSI (the DUI dealer I bought it from), MDEA (group I dove with last night) and now the PADI (I'm taking my AOW with) all teach using your BC rather then drysuit for bouyancy.

So again, you guys are right. :)

Thanks again everyone for the great information on this board. Do wish I could be of value here. Maybe my dumb questions are helping those who are lurkers.

:jester:

Hey, I'm back from my weekend AOW in Lake Superior. Did the following dives.

Dry Suit - Madeira
Wreck - Madeira
Night - Hesper - This one was nasty with the cold.
Deep - Rock drop along shore
Nav - Small sail boat

3 out of 5 dives hit 39 degrees F. It was COLD. Warmest was 41 degrees F.

Only place I got cold was face/lips and hands. Thanks go to the dry suit.

I needed to add a couple pounds with my hood and gloves (had never used them before). Was a little light on the first two dives. Could not stay down for the suggested safety stop with tanks down to 500 psi. Also realized I was not tilting my left shoulder up enough to insure I was getting all the air out when I needed to. Also need to pop a couple holes in the hood to let air out on top.

Learned alot thanks to a great instructor, and after these cold conditions, I now believe I am a real diver. Do want to go back and do the Hesper more during a day dive. If anyone is interested in these wrecks.

http://www.mnhs.org/places/nationalregister/shipwrecks/

Hey, I'm back from my weekend AOW in Lake Superior. Did the following dives.

Dry Suit - Madeira
Wreck - Madeira
Night - Hesper - This one was nasty with the cold.
Deep - Rock drop along shore
Nav - Small sail boat

3 out of 5 dives hit 39 degrees F. It was COLD. Warmest was 41 degrees F.

Only place I got cold was face/lips and hands. Thanks go to the dry suit.

I needed to add a couple pounds with my hood and gloves (had never used them before). Was a little light on the first two dives. Could not stay down for the suggested safety stop with tanks down to 500 psi. Also realized I was not tilting my left shoulder up enough to insure I was getting all the air out when I needed to. Also need to pop a couple holes in the hood to let air out on top.

Learned alot thanks to a great instructor, and after these cold conditions, I now believe I am a real diver. Do want to go back and do the Hesper more during a day dive. If anyone is interested in these wrecks.

http://www.mnhs.org/places/nationalregister/shipwrecks/

Back
Top Bottom