Dry Suit Exhaust Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nnjimmy59

New
Reaction score
I have an older Poseidon Unisuit and I am going to install an adjustable exhaust valve on the shoulder. Does anyone have any advice as to how to do this properly and also what the best location for the valve would be?

Thanks,
nnjimmy59

Personally I moved my shoulder exhaust valve to the wrist - I do like it there. One tip ... don't use pourous fabric to patch the hole :D lol (yes I'm guilty of this ... but only once) - I ended up using a round patch from a rubber tire tube - worked very nicely to patch the old hole. As for the new one, the glue almost seemed to be "superfluous" as I tried it without glue and the pressure was enough (not recommending this however - but it did work for me) I glued it later once I was satisfied with the location.

I used aquaseal to patch the old hole and silicone for the new valve location (since it is easier to remove in the future.. though it will also prevent a patch being glued over the hole in the future as well)

Aloha, Tim

P.S. I have seen a couple of good threads on this procedure here on the board... if I find them I'll post the link - but in the meantime you can try a search ...

Thanks for the response. I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I haven't able to until now.

I added valves to my kayaking drysuit, I bought Apeks (very happy withh them) valves, from the UK online, and bought the backing patches.... the assembly goes like:

Roughen the patches well with sandpaper and clean thoroughly (NO GREASE)
put on suit and lie in your normal diving position on teh floor
have an assistant mark the upper part of your left arm with an x for the center of the valve... stay away from seams in teh suit.
glue on the patch to the outside of teh suit using a compatible glue for both components
allow to set up good and propper (24h)
cut out the material in the center
fit the valve as per the enclosed instructions (supplied with valve - READ THEM)
go diving and see if you did a good job on the glueing or not!

I fitted my valve exactly on the side of my arm... I would move it back about 30 degrees if I did it again so that i didn't have to conciously roll to allow it to dump air.

have fun :)

R

Back
Top Bottom