Dry Suit Exhaust Valve Location?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSDT Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What are the pros and cons of locating your dry suit exhaust on the forearm vs. shoulder location?

You are really opening a a can of worms. I prefer the cuff.

start here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/exposure-suits/123964-cuff-shoulder-vent-dry-suit.html

Good luck

can-of-worms.jpg

There you go.

DC

That is an old thread. There have been newer ones, but they may have been lost in one of the board crashes.

I have used both and hate the cuff dump with a passion. It works fine only if you go around more or less horizontal all the time and do it with relatively little gas in the suit.

I used to do commercial dives where you would often be vertical or actually use your arms, and a cuff dump was a royal pita as it was alwyas having to be adjusted tighter or looser or was just dumping every time you reach up a few inches.

It probably works better in warm water where you do not need to carry much gas in the suit to loft the insulation but in cold water, the cuff dump is a very bad idea. The advantage of the shoulder dump is its versatility - it works well anywhere with as much or litte gas as you want in the suit.

I have used a shoudler dump in wrecks, caves, commerical and rec environments and it does every thing well. When properly adjusted, just a very slight roll or change in trim will do the job.

I am one of those folks who actually likes to roll on my back and look at the roof of a cave now and then. With a shoulder dump no buoyancy change will occur if you roll to the dump side (ie keep it lower through the roll). With a cuff dump, rolling without raising the cuff dump during the roll one way or the other or when on your back is problematic and more often than not you end up negative unless you are already diving with the suit excessively squeezed.

I like the cuff dump. It is easy to vent but it does get caught every now and then on the straps of my harness when putting on my BP/W. I would suggest trying both if you get a chance and see what you like but I think most prefer the shoulder dump though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom