Dry suit dryer for the non DIYers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arnaud

Contributor
Reaction score
After a leg injury kept me out of the water for too long, I decided to take advantage of my free time and build the excellent dry suit dryer by David M. Dalton. My dry suit, a DUI FLX 50/50 takes about a week to be fully dry. Being in SoCal, the perspiration during SI requires washing and drying inside out every time. I had been thinking about building this for a while.

What follows are a few notes for the non DIYers to complement DD's website. I was able to do this. Anybody can do it, too.

I read DD's instructions several times. If you don't have a clear picture of what you need to achieve, you'll never get there.

The fist step is to order the blower. Model and instructions are on DD's site. Then, you'll need to measure your suit: length of legs, torso and arms, as well as width. The one limitation you'll notice about the width is the size of the blower. You can't make the dryer very narrow, but if you make it too wide, your suit won't fit…

I then created a drawing to prepare a list of the various stuff I needed from the hardware store. The one change I made from DD's design was to add some outlets for the arms. The blower is powerful enough.

Make sure you go to a store that has a big inventory. And then, be prepared for some compromises and use patience. They'll never have exactly what you're looking for in the size you need, so you'll have to use adaptors.

I bought a saw and a saw box for $12. You also need a rubber mallet or hammer to disassemble the PVC pipes from the various tee's and elbows. They can get pretty tight, even without glue. Finally, I have a small Black & Decker drill that's perfect to hang frames and drill small holes in the PVC.

I used 1 ½ PVC pipes for the main frame, 1 ¼ pipes to assemble the blower, but unlike DD's recommendation, I couldn't find all that I needed in ½ for the "deluxe option", so I used ¾ instead. It works well.

PVC is very forgiving. You should try to cut the pipe as precisely as possible, but you can always cheat a little. I used some of the super cheap towels Home Depot sells to clean the sawdust on each pipe's end after sawing them. This will help a lot if you need to disassemble the dryer, plus it looks cleaner.

Assembly was easy. The only thing is to not glue anything right away. You'll probably need some small adjustments later on. I didn't glue the tees that hold the blower at all. It's easier to remove it if I have to replace it. Also, make sure the tees are at a 45° angle to accommodate the shape of the blower (the exhausts are not straight).

Finally, I didn't glue the whole dryer together. That way, it can be disassembled in 3 different parts to make storage easier. It's pretty big.

I want to thank David M. Dalton for posting the idea and instructions on the dryer. This is a pretty cool project.

Here it is unassembled:

Nice job! Glad you found the plans helpful. I like the "armpit" ventilators you added. I'll have to add those to mine!

That's the nice thing about sharing these ideas. Someone always comes up with somthing you didn't think about. When I first did it, I had it all glued together but found that I had no place to store it. I cut off half of it and that worked fine but later I decided it was easier to "thread" the pipes into the whole suit than just half and it made putting it on the base easier.

Since I did it I added one other option, the liftbag/safety marker dryer. Just like the hood/glove option uses 1/2" or 3/4" piece of pvc pipe that ends in a "T". Right now I use it in place of the glove/hood rack but will add elbows to the back so I can do it all at once.

Dave D

Thanks Dave!

I guess I'll have to add the marker extension, too.

And maybe start a new business...

:)

Nice Mullet, Arn.

Crack your knee, build some dive gear. No problem. Sprain an ankle, what....wrap a fishing rod? Break your arm, rewire the house? Dislocate your shoulder, add a second floor?

Lookin' good.

I wonder if you threaded your suit on that contraption inside-out, and sort of ran the hose into it....could you, like, essentially rinse the suit? I mean, it beats the heck out of the mess and hassle of dunking it, you know? You could rinse it, then sort of blow it dry.

And then when you take the suit off those monkey bars, you could hook back up the hose and water the lawn (and likely the neighbors lawn) in a sort of Belagio meets Buckingham fountain affiar (think Married with Children intro...)

Or maybe, bring a little Bronx to So Cal and let it blast onto the hot street so kids in their huggies and jockies could frolic about...

Hmmmm... I need to work on this one. Lemmie go stub my toe so I can get my tinkerer's gene revved up....

K

but the blower is not waterproof... Plus, I guess it would be easy to plug a water hose, but how do you deal with the soap?

I guess I'll continue dancing tango with the suit in the shower for now. But I'll think about it.

No reason you couldn't build one to do the rinse deal, with quick disconnects for the blower and water with a soap siphon deally, but that is a bit overboard even for me. I just lay out my drysuit on a tarp, hose it down, flip and repeat and stick it on the dryer. I may flush the inside as well.

Dave D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom