Dry suit - check list to avoid getting wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read up on silicone grease, and it is used instead of petrolatum which might be bad for plastics. Also, it stays softer when ice cold than wax.
Since it is also sold as plumbers grease at Homedepot and also at autozone, I wonder if there might be less expensive sources that are still safe to use on DRYSUIT zippers.

In addition to the above, my drysuit, a Viking Pro, has an inflator valve that screws together, the two pieces inside and outside the suit. Since it screws together, it is possible for it to be loose, so after an occasion when water entered that way, I always make sure to check that.

As for the zipper, I also don't allow anyone who is not familiar with a drysuit zipper to zip it up. The wrong person might force it, or zip an undergarment into it, which could kill it or result in leaking - I say that because on my previous drysuit, that scenario caused leaking one day.

Always check that each dryglove seems to truely be staying dry. It's so easy to re-seat a glove or even duct-tape a tiny hole if you just notice the problem before you get too wet. Carry a wetglove option in your gear so you don't have to dive with a leaking glove.

Handle seals with care and replace thin, gummy or ripping seals before they have the opportunity to create problems.

If you really can't find the source of a leak, try some light-colored cotton clothes (a white turtleneck and light grey sweatpants for example) as the undersuit and make very, very brief dips in a pool. You should be able to see the spot that gets wet first. Sometimes the leak is not a hole, it's a whole section of seam.

Some suit vents will always leak if they are 100% open.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom