dry suit care and use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now, that's interesting - 100% silicone . . . which everything I've read says one mustn't use, because it interferes with future seal changes and adhesions.

It will be a problem, if you slather it all over the suit material as well. While I apply it religiously... I apply it CAREFULLY as well.

Have had no problem having neck or wrist seals replaced.

Now, that's interesting - 100% silicone . . . which everything I've read says one mustn't use, because it interferes with future seal changes and adhesions.

Also, in some products such as Armor All (of which silicone is a large part), once you stop using it, the rubber dries harder and cracks more than if you had never used it.

So, how many of you drysuit people use silicone, and what do the manufacturer's say?
there are two kinds of silicone, you do not want the kind that is NOT 100% soluble in water, that non-soluble kind is what people are referring to as not being able to make any repairs due to glue not sticking (the McNett products that I've checked the MSDS sheet on that say their OK for latex seals are 100% water soluble)

DUI says that it's OK to use the other type (see their forum) and they had no trouble replacing my zipper because of damage not caused by silicone use (actually, it was only after using McNett on that old zipper that I could move it at all)

and if your going to say why use it if it will wash away, it will make old seals feel flexible and better than before, and it will protect them while storing your suit, and something that does not attract sand

That should be ... never use non water soluble silicone on the seals ... I've asked and DUI says that the other kind is fine (100% soluble in water as per the MSDS, or Food Grade)
My drysuit has old, dry and surface cracking zipseals in the arms and after using silicone (McNett) on them it has made them last and feel much more pliant .. I use it on the zipper too, much smoother/easier operation, even though it's brand new (again, DUI said it was OK, and they did not have any issues in replacing the old zipper that was in terrible shape (unmoveable) when I got my used, looks like it was a rental, suit)

another source I've heard for talc is your pool table store

Last edited:
I go by Whites recommendations for my Fusion: wash seals with mild soap, rinse and dry - then Seal Saver. I use pharmaceutical grade talc for the seals before donning the suit. Bought it from an SB-er: Dave4868. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

Using talc doesn't have to be "messy". I put a heaping tablespoon full in a square of old T-shirt material and tie it closed with a bit of string - I leave about 4" of string loose. Then I use this little "pouch" to dap talc onto the outside of the seals. Then using the string I "dangle" the pouch inside the opening of the seals and swish it around to talc the inside of the seals as well.

Easy with no mess and a lot less waste.

As per Whites I use McNett Max Wax for the zipper, both outside and inside teeth.

Henrik

Back
Top Bottom