dry suit and buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The biggest challange will be getting your weights right.

If you have too little wight, you won't be able to get below the surface, or won't be able to add enough air at depth to prevent suit squeeze (without floating to the surface).

If you have too much weight, then buoyancy becomes a problem, since you'll have a big pocket of air to manage.

It will be well worth your time to go back to the water with a mostly empty tank (500 PSI/35 Bar) a bag of small weights and see exactly how much it takes to sink you and your equipment, and be able to stay down with enough air in the suit to eliminate the squeeze.

Then you can control your bouyancy with your BC, which is much easier.

Once you get the weight right, the rest is just practice.

Good luck!

Terry

mania:
thanks a lot to all of you for advice and support. Second dive was better but I still have buoyancy problem - I couldn't stop myself at 4 meters - was going half meter up or down. But at least I managed ascending form the depth (we went to 15 meters) without any problems. I'm still a bit scared to add air - but at the 10 meters i had to - otherwise the suit would squeeze me. And then deflating it was easy - the same time I was putting my hand up to deflate the jacket some of the excess air from the suit went out.
So now I need practice and have to work with the buoyancy.
One more thing - I borrowed the suit but it was fitting me almost perfectly. And I sort of liked its colors - in our murky water is perfectly visible....
But honesty - the water was great - vis 8 meters which is really the record. Temp - 3 Centigrade. Outside temp - 8 Centigrade but sunny.
:D
Mania

TheDivingPreacher:
Mania, Where were you diving?
DP
In Mazury - Northern part of Poland - the "thousand lakes area" - probably the most beautiful place in the world. In every corner there are lakes and forest, lakes and forest....
And some hills, wild animals and at this time of a year total silence. This is a post-glacial region and post-glacial lakes - the one I dove is 40 meters deep with a lovely wall to dive along. Some of the lakes are up to more than 100 meters deep.
Mania

mania:
In Mazury - Northern part of Poland - the "thousand lakes area" - probably the most beautiful place in the world. In every corner there are lakes and forest, lakes and forest....
And some hills, wild animals and at this time of a year total silence. This is a post-glacial region and post-glacial lakes - the one I dove is 40 meters deep with a lovely wall to dive along. Some of the lakes are up to more than 100 meters deep.
Mania

Sounds very similar to the lake region in western Austria. have you ever been to the quarry "Grodek" not too far from Auschwitz? Not sure of the Polish spelling. WE have three possibilities here, Czech, Polish, or English. :)

I don't know which exactly do you mean. There is one called Zakrzowek which is close to Cracow and the other one called "Koparki" - Jaworzna - also close to Oswiecim. This is Polish name of the city known as Aushwitz.
I've been to "Koparki", never to Zakrzowek.
BTW - I know the Austrian region you mentioned and believe me - Mazury are much much nicer - forst of all much bigger with more lakes.....
Mania
PS. Any time you want to come you are very welcome.... After all it's not far away from your place :D

I think it is Zakrzowek. That is the most likely. The vis there is great. Usually around 8-10 meters and some interesting attractions + fishes :)
We were there in September. The majority is around 12 meters deep with a max I think of 17-18.

You never know, maybe we can get up there sometime. I would also like to dive some of the wrecks in the Baltic.

You know we have a lot of the famous and the biggest wrecks such as Gustloff, Goya, Steuben - so a lot to see in the Baltic - but this is a separate topic, more suitable for the Europe section. If you need to know anything more just PM me. And come here - you will have fun.
Mania

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom