dry in warmer waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

olphart

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone dive dry in warmer water, say 65 - 70 degrees or so? Or even warmer? How did it work for you in terms of pre and post dive comfort? Did you wear the undies at all? Did the extra room in the suit create problems? etc, etc.
Please excuse what may seem like dumb questions, but my experience so far is wet only in very cold, (42 degrees) to warm, (85 degree waters), and I'm just waiting for delivery of my first drysuit, (Bare Nexgen Pro) and I was wondering how adaptable it will be to warm water diving.

I live in Hawaii and have just begun diving dry, as I visit cold-water places to go vacation diving. It rocks!! You do have to be aware of the topside environment to ensure you don't get overheated, but proper time management in how you gear up can help mitigate that.

As far as undergarments, I'm still experimenting but right now I wear a long-sleeved Mysterioso shirt (think insulated dive skin), polypro pants, and boot socks under my suit. Granted, that will be changing when I visit Monterey again, and I will have to learn a whole 'nother undergarment, but I can deal with that.

I guess the trick is to consider that your drysuit will equalize it's temperature to that of the water surrounding it, so imagine what would keep you comfortable in that kind of weather on the surface, then get something equivalent to that for undies.

Ultimately the drysuit itself, save for neoprene suits, offer no thermal protection so they have a wide variety of temperature conditions in which they are useful. That is until I find the spot that has 95* water, amazing viz, and easy conditions. At that point, I've found my new home :wink:.

Peace,
Greg

We manufacture a 4.0 mm neoprene drysuit that can be used in a wide variety of water conditions depending on the undergarments. From our website:

"Versatility- Perfect by itself in temperate waters, or wear a simple Polartech jumpsuit underneath to dive the cooler waters in winter. Planning to dive in some really cold water? Our test divers layered it with expedition weight long underwear for a three hour exploration in the 39F/5C waters of Japan's Ryusen-do Caves. "

Our website: Apollo Sports: Dive Gear has more information.

Your choice of your Bare suit was excellent. Bare makes quality products and stands behind them.

Kanonfodr had some good advice and I'm sure you will hear from others.

Enjoy your diving.

I've frozen my butt off after 3 hours in 68 degree water. Anytime the water is cooler than around 75 I'm more than happy to dive a drysuit. Only real problem is putting it on in Texas in August !

Anyone dive dry in warmer water, say 65 - 70 degrees or so? Or even warmer? How did it work for you in terms of pre and post dive comfort? Did you wear the undies at all? Did the extra room in the suit create problems? etc, etc.
Please excuse what may seem like dumb questions, but my experience so far is wet only in very cold, (42 degrees) to warm, (85 degree waters), and I'm just waiting for delivery of my first drysuit, (Bare Nexgen Pro) and I was wondering how adaptable it will be to warm water diving.

I love diving dry in warm water, such when our local rivers reach 80F degrees in August!

You'll quickly learn a few tricks to avoid heat stroke and excessive air bubble shifting.... :)

Essentially, one can reduce the chance of heat stroke and sweat-drenched undergarments by gearing up in the shade, minimizing exertion, dunking one's head in a cooler of ice water, suiting up at the last minute, getting into the water promptly, etc.

Once in the water, use a catch bag to hold your hood or gloves if you remove them to cool down. Cool down further by venting air from the suit and using the bcd more. Get below the thermocline, if possible. Slow down.

The shifting of the air bubble will definitely be worse in a drysuit that is fitting more loosely over lighter insulation than usual. Just reduce the amount of air in the drysuit and use the bcd more. Consider gaiters, ankle weights and/or a weight belt to impede the shifting of the bubble.

My suit fits very loosely when I'm wearing light insulation for 80-degree water, but I find the increased shifting of the air bubble isn't much of a problem. I usually continue to use my drysuit for all my buoyancy adjustments and leave my bcd empty during the dive. Others primarily use their bcd for such adjustments. It can be done easily both ways. If the shifting becomes a problem, such as if I'm spending more time out of the horizontal position, I'll vent the suit and use the bcd more.

I love the increased range of motion in my drysuit when I'm wearing light undergarments in warm water! I sometimes forget I have it on, something I never feel when wearing a wetsuit of any thickness.... :shakehead:

Enjoy the versatility of your drysuit! You'll be amazed! :)

Dave C

I dive year round in a drysuit........

Reduced undergarments based on water temp.......

The warmest the water gets is 70 degrees and that is near the surface....

I go with thin 3 mil wet gloves and change to a 3/5 mil hood.

I open up the suit during the SI to prevent overheating......

Hope this helps......M

I dive dry in Mexico in the caves, in air temps up to near 100F and water temps of 75, and I dove dry in the Red Sea (air mid 80's, water 81) and in Hawaii (air temps high 70s, water temp 75). I love it. I wear a set of fleece sweats from Land's End as an undergarment. I haven't had much trouble with overheating, except in MX on the very hot days, and that can be minimized by getting dressed last and staying out of the sun. I LOVE being warm in the water, all the way through the dive, and not being cold when I get out.

I've dove dry in waters to 75F. Surface air temp was 85F or so. In my opinion it was way easier to do that than diving dry in PNW waters: I had way less insulation on for the surface interval and while gearing up, and I sweated a lot less! That's right, it was cooler and easier to dive dry in warm water than in cold water during warm air temps.

I had no problems being comfortable and safe on the surface. Same rules of hydration and shade apply as in a wet suit. Convenience for pee breaks is reduced compared to a wet suit, but is the same as for cold water. It was nice not to need a towel. The shivering divers in their rental wet suits (5mm, no hoods, boots, gloves) were laughing at me; the guide said a drysuit would be perfect for him. At the day's end I was out of the suit, warm and ready for cocktails while everyone else was showering the salt off and warming up.

My undergarments were a set of lightweight long johns and a very thin fleece jacket. 5mm gloves and hood. Depending on how big the cut of your suit is, there might be challenges in bubble management that could be mitigated by reducing the amount of air in the suit (i.e. just getting the squeeze out) and using the BC more for buoyancy control.

More people should dive dry!

VI

we dive St Lawrence, the temp in the river is around 70 in summer, Yes you need undergarment in shell suit or you will be cold quickly as shell suits do not provide any insulation.

I wear 200gr undergarment with wet gloves and hood.

You get a bit extra space in the suit but it's not a big deal. On the top you have to stay in the shade and on the wind when it's possible. IF you do shore diving get into the water more often to cool down.

Yes, I dive dry in the tropics. Red Sea, Fiji, Hawaii - just be prepared to be made fun of.

I just smile and take the ribbing - being warm is worth it.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom