Dry Hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ocean County Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My current drysuit hood has served me well over a number of years but it is finally breaking down. So, I am now in the market for a new drysuit hood, either 5mm or 7mm.

I am curious how folks are finding some of the newer hoods these days. Anyone have any experience with the Fourth Element 7mm hood? Any others that you folks have strong opinions about one way or another?

waiting on the new 10mm one from waterproof, will let you know when i get it, and when it gets cold enough to use it :)

A lot of us cold water divers consider the Otter Bay hood (aka "neoprene helmet" to be the non plus ultra of hoods.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will put my 2 cents in for a Bare Elastek 7mm dry hood. I can only compare it with the Bare non-elastek hood which I used previously but in water as cold as 4c, I was toasty warm.

got my new waterproof 10mm and its awesome, did some long deep dives (20mins + at 40deg ) and didnt even feel like the water was cold.

I have two drysuits with dry hoods, one with a 5mm Neoprene hood and the other is latex.

While the Neoprene actually keeps my head warmer, I much prefer the latex. Latex keeps my head drier, and it's easier to don/doff. Thin, stretchy latex is especially easy to use -- my latex hood was recently replaced with a thicker, commercial-diver grade latex and it's not as comfy.

YMMV. It probably depends on your goals. For me, keeping cold water away from my head was more important than the insulation value.

A lot of us cold water divers consider the Otter Bay hood (aka "neoprene helmet" to be the non plus ultra of hoods.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on this. I picked up my otter bay hood a couple weeks ago and love it. My head was warm the entire time during my dive. The 10mm hood was great.

They are $95 and if you can make it to their shop in Monterey (a bit far from NJ), they will take custom measurements for your hood. Alternatively, I'm sure if you call them up they can tell you how to take measurements and then ship it your way.

I just wear a Scubapro 7mm wetsuit hood I had before going dry. I did trim the hood's apron so it tucks nicely into the collar on my DUI TLS. The coldest waters I've dove was 39F, and I've never had an issue with my head getting too cold.

+1 on this. I picked up my otter bay hood a couple weeks ago and love it. My head was warm the entire time during my dive. The 10mm hood was great.

They are $95 and if you can make it to their shop in Monterey (a bit far from NJ), they will take custom measurements for your hood. Alternatively, I'm sure if you call them up they can tell you how to take measurements and then ship it your way.

Yes they will! Cricket (the owner and everything else for Otter Bay) is very good to work with.

Back
Top Bottom