Dry Gloves like balloons!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soakedlontra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Two days ago I went diving and when I surfaced my dry gloves (I have the OS Systems) were inflated like two balloons! I wear a Mobby's dry suit and this time I wore the liners (two pairs) underneath the dry gloves after putting my arms inside the sleeves of the suit (I usually wear them before so the latex wrist seals rest on top of the liners).

I tried to get rid of the air by lowering my arms but the air would not go up to my shoulders (was it because at the surface there was no pressure anymore?:confused:).
Is there a way to successfully get rid of the air in this situation?

I assume your wrist seals are intact?

Slipping something like bungee or surgical tubing will allow gas to travel between the suit and gloves. Wrist seals can act like a one way valve.

If your wrist seals are compromised by the ring system you use, the gloves are always going to be at the same pressure as the suit, so venting the suit might be the only option?

What are you using to vent the gloves into the suit?

A lot of dry glove users have a small piece of tubing or bungee at the wrist seal to allow air to travel back and forth and equalize.

You need something under the wrist seal.
Thumb loops from undergarment, tubing, bungee, string, anything to break the seal in a small spot.

I would not suggest putting the whole seal on the liner. If the glove floods it will quickly flood the whole arm of the suit. You only want a little something to let a little air pass.

The idea behind this is that if the glove floods, the diver removes the tubing and the suit is sealed through the wrist seal. Some divers remove the wrist seal, but if a tear occurs, the suit will flood. I've known warm water divers who use dry suits and have the wrist seals removed.

Thank you very much folks!

My wrist seals are not that tight, in fact when I wear wet gloves they leak so I thought that the gap between my skin and the wrist seals was enough to let air inside the gloves. I guess I was wrong. I tried the straw once and I think it did work but I find easier to wear the liners first than the wrist seals on top rather than mess with straws. If I have a leak in the gloves water would get to my arm...well something that I am familiar with. I think I will stick to this for the time being

...I tried the straw once and I think it did work but I find easier to wear the liners first then the wrist seals on top rather than mess with straws....

That's what I do, it works well doesn't it?

Back
Top Bottom