Dry glove recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shu251

New
Reaction score
I'm a scientific diver and dive with a DUI dry suit. I'm looking for dry gloves, but really need something I could remove under the water.
An alternative to dry gloves attached to my suit would be a glove style like the henderson duratex dry gloves.
However, I need maximum dexterity.

Any suggestions? Would this issue be solved with the henderson duratex dry gloves?

Wet gloves or wet gloves with fingertips cut off. When not using your hands make a fist and keep your fingers warm.

I use 5mm wet gloves in 45 degree water without problem. Make a fist, keep fingers warm.

DUI makes removable dry gloves. They call them Dry 5 gloves and they have a Maximum Dexterity (orange) model.

How much dexterity to do you need exactly?
Once removed, dry gloves won't be dry any more (duh) - so you'll be loosing almost all thermal protection.

Would thin dry gloves work for you?
Many dry glove rings allow you to choose the glove and the liner. Going with thin gloves (double dipped vinyl or neoprene) and cutting the fingers from the liner might give you enough dexterity you don't need to remove them.

Even with the standard blue smurf gloves (triple dipped vinyl), I didn't feel I lost much dexterity compared to standard 5mm neoprene gloves as long as I only used a very thin liner.

I have BETTER dexterity in dry gloves (double or triple dipped; I don't notice much difference) even with moderately heavy liners than any pair of 4-5mm wet glove I've ever used.

I have a DUI TLS 350 with DUI zip seal wrists. I have mounted Diving Concepts (DC) rings on the wrist seals. In order to allow air to flow into and out of the gloves I interrupt the seal at my wrists with a small bit of tygon tubing (I am a scientist too) on each wrist. In the event of a catastrophic failure in the dry glove I can remove the glove and pull out the tube (re-establishing a watertight seal).

FWIW I would not recommend this system for on-and-off glove usage as, once wet, the dry gloves are of very little help. You might need to stick with wet gloves unless the removal of a glove is a rare occurrence near the end of your dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom