Drug store water-friendly camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjpv

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi folks,

Does anyone know if those disposable water-friendly cameras (the ones with plastic casing) are usable at 40-60ft?

I'm going on vacation and I'd like to take some pictures without emptying my wallet to buy a camera.

Walmart have a camera that is good to 50', for about $10. I can't remember the actual brand, but I've taken one that deep....pics weren't brilliant as there's not a lot of light down there. One hint though is to have the pictures developed at a photographers, not at somewhere like Walmart that just whizz the film through a machine. Our local photographers took a bit more care, and tweaked some of the colours/settings to improve the pictures before printing them.

rjpv:
Hi folks,

Does anyone know if those disposable water-friendly cameras (the ones with plastic casing) are usable at 40-60ft?

I'm going on vacation and I'd like to take some pictures without emptying my wallet to buy a camera.
Some of my very first underwater photos were taken using disposable Kodak cameras.
As the labels state they're generally good down to about 60ft and then at greater depths the shutter button doesn't work.

You won't really get good results from them, but if you're just trying to capture some memories then by all means go ahead :).
For what it's worth, those type of cameras work best in shallow water say less than 30ft.

Here are some examples, photoshopped a bit to get the blue out.

87240017-edited.jpg

87240021copy.jpg

If you're working with a dive boat, you might ask them or your travel group or agency about the availability of camera rentals. You may be able to rent a much better one that will actually take decent pictures.

Try Snapsights. Their model goes to 85 ft. You can change the film too. They cost about $25.

I was going to attach some photos, but that feature on ScubaBoard isn't working.

i picked one up at walgreens for like 13 bucks and took it to 101'. it was pretty crap quality though, pics almost arent worth having.

87240017-edited.jpg

nice pic btw for a disposable cam . . . . I use kodak too for now. . . and dont use it more than 30 ft because it's gonna get real dark and there's no flash on this camera so u wont see anything when u develop it. . . . take pictures only in the shallows for nice results.

If said disposable camera has a flash, should I use the flash then at depth?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom