drownings on Oahu -

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ch0ppersrule

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
2 Drown, 1 Saved In Waters Off Oahu

POSTED: 10:07 pm HST August 14, 2005
UPDATED: 8:58 am HST August 15, 2005

HONOLULU -- Oahu lifeguards scrambled to try and save swimmers in waters around the island Sunday.

Lifeguards found the body of a lifeless man in the water in Waikiki.

Lifeguards said when they ended work Saturday evening they noticed a buoy floating just offshore. When it was still there Sunday morning, they checked it out and found out it was in fact a body.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene. His name has not been released.

Moments after finding the dead body, they had to rescue another person who was drowning on Waikiki Beach.

A man in his late 50s was swimming before he ran into trouble, officials said.

Lifeguards were able to pull him from the water and begin CPR.

Paramedics helped treat the man and took him to Straub Clinic and Hospital in critical condition.

A third drowning case was reported just hours after the Waikiki drownings.

Paramedics said a local man in his 40s was diving near Chinaman's Hat off Kualoa Beach Park.

The man got caught on something for about a half hour, officials said.

Someone spotted the man and brought him to shore by kayak.

Paramedics treated the man and took him to a hospital where he died. His name has not been released yet.

In the newspaper they said it was 2 divers and 1 swimmer. Don't know anything else yet.

This is from the Honolulu Advertiser.

Two divers die; man rescue

Advertiser Staff

Two divers died in separate accidents yesterday after being pulled from waters off Kualoa and Waikiki.

The body of one man, believed to be in his mid-40s, was recovered after being spotted by a swimmer about 125 yards offshore from the "walls" at Waikiki Beach shortly before 11 a.m. The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

A second victim, a 46-year-old man who had been diving with a friend at Kualoa, died at Castle Medical Center. His diving partner found him unconscious in the water at about 3:39 p.m., according to Honolulu Fire Department spokesman Capt. Kenison Tejada.

There was also a near-drowning in Waikiki, where a man in his 60s was rescued at 11:30 a.m. and taken to Straub Hospital & Clinic.

Taken to the hospital in critical condition means brain dead after a drowning, almost always. It's very easy to get a pulse back but brain function has ben lost.... Im very very very curious to see what comes of this and where they got there air at? I had a problem a few months back with bad air from a LDS and they knew about it and just blew it off. If it was them, someone is going to jail!

Wow! Three in one day on one island. Two diving. So sad. Dive safe folks.....

We dove Sharks Cove on Saturday and everyone( non divers ) was jumping off the cliff/ rocks on the left side (at the mouth opening). I just knew someone was going to get hurt, but no incidents while we were there.

Wildcard- I got an application from a lady at Schofield and got it faxed back into her. She e-mailed me and application, drug form and some other paperwork to fill out. Thanks for the info even if I don't get the job.

Melissa

PM me with your last name and you will have a job! Did you talk to Candice?

We dove Sea Tiger on saturday and the trench on sunday....On saturday, I got to the surface and another instructor was doing a tired diver tow on a gal and sent me back down looking for her missing dive buddy. I had to leave the surface and go back to 50 feet on 700 lbs. My computer hates me now and I spent the next day waiting for DCS symptoms. He was found at the surface shortly there after....Again folks, DIVE SAFE!!!!!

Any more info out there? Not hearing a thing....

OK, I have an update. Two FREEdivers and a swimer. No SCUBA....
See in Sea, Waikiki divers, Ocean concepts...Pacific Paradise Divers seems good but I have yet to meet them...Sending you a PM about the bad one.

pacific paradise divers is great. Really friendly crew that know the sites.

thanks for the updates. I haven't heard anything on the news at all.

Had a great time in late July with Pacific Paradise Divers...dove the West side. Mahi wreck and Makaha Caverns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom