Drowning at Lake Rawlings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you are still intensely anxious and unable to relax and enjoy your dive, something about your skills, training, or suitability for diving needs to be more closely examined. I think he is right.

I totally agree with that statement, I just dont think the answer is to give up and get out of diving; that was my main point. I would just hate to tell anyone that they should not be able to take part because of a possibly correctable anxiety issue. Its the extreme position I disagreed with. I apologize that I wasn't more clear with my response :-/

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Reminder of the special rules for this forum:

(1) You may not release any names here, until after the names have appeared in the public domain (articles, news reports, sheriff's report etc.) The releasing report must be cited. Until such public release, the only name you may use in this forum is your own.
(2) Off topic posts will be removed and off topic comments will be edited.
(3) No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
(4) No trolling; no blamestorming. Mishap analysis does not lay blame, it finds causes.
(5) No "condolences to the family" here. Please use our Passings Forum for these kinds of messages.
(6) If you are presenting information from a source other than your own eyes and ears, cite the source.
(7) If your post is your hypothesis, theory, or a "possible scenario," identify it as such.

Keep the discussion on-topic please

This has to be the most ignorant statement I have read in awhile, and I would argue the contrary. If you have 25 dives and are too cocky to recognize your limits and your inexperience, then you are a danger to yourself and to others. Twenty-five dives is nothing, and at that point any diver still has a load more to learn. I would never claim, at my low level of dives, that I am confortable. Sure, I am not panicking and I have control of myself in the water, but I still learn a boatload on every dive. Further, I would never tell someone who is truly interested in being better and being a great diver to leave if they were still gaining confidence and comfort.

Maybe there needs to be greater fitness requirements (that i agree with) and screening, but you don't need to be a cocky, ignorant, young kid to be a diver.
Lynn's right - you misinterpreted what I am saying.

FWIW I agree with you about diving being a life long learning thing. I have been diving since 1985 and have averaged about 100 dives per year and still find things to learn and improve on every dive.

If you want to consider something "arrogant" consider the number of DM's and instructors with a comparatively low number of dives and/or little or no ability to actually teach. An industry attitude and marketing approach that creates that situation is what contributes to accidents like this one.

Another form of arrogance is more experienced divers not seeing the need to mentor newly minted divers. How many times have you seen a couple of newbies paired together at the local quarry or lake so they won't ruin or shorten dives if paired with more experienced divers? How many times have you made your self available to mentor someone else with less experience? It's one of the more effective ways to keep divers moving forward safely in the sport - even if training is not what it should be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom