Dropped weight at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chiara93

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Witnessed this incident while diving Y0257(Oahu) more than a year ago.

2 groups of 8 divers on a charter boat to a wreck in 100ft. Water condition was perfect; no chops and clear visibility. First group, all Japanese, went down first with their DM. Minutes later, our group of 8 went in the water.

When our group reached the bottom, I could see some of the Japanese divers were following their DM and a couple of stragglers.

Our DM signaled us to follow him to penetrate the upper portion of the wreck. My buddy signaled me to go in first, but I signaled back that he should go in first. He was closer to the opening anyway. So, I was the last one to go in. I guess our signaling who would go in first was long enough that by the time we were both inside, about 10 ft. in, everyone had gone through and out of the wreck.

Since, there were two openings on both sides of us, we didn't know which way the rest of our group exited, left or right. We were looking at one another when our DM came in from the right opening and signaled to follow him. That was a relief.

As we exited the wreck, we saw the rest of our group on our right checking out the wreck. My buddy, I and the DM were swimming towards our group when I noticed a diver in light pink wetsuit, of the Japanese group, frantically waving her arms up and down and her buddy way below her. She was in a vertical position and climbing really fast. Her weight belt was going the opposite way. The rest of her group nor their DM were nowhere in sight.

I pointed, my buddy swam fast over, but our DM was faster and grabbed her. He dragged her down as he deflated her BC. My buddy in turn went to retrieved the weight belt. I couldn't do anything. My brain was still processing the whole scenario and what could've happened. With her weight belt on, the two Japanese divers continued their dives. We then joined the rest of our group.

The whole thing happened so fast that I don't think everyone noticed the incident. I say this, because no one mentioned anything except the shark they saw at the bow of the wreck. Our DM had a quiet tete-a-tete with the Japanese group DM though. I can only imagine what about.

Don't really know why I'm posting this except the fact that it made a deep impression on me. I can only empathized with that diver because I lost my weight belt during an AOW training, but that's another story. I know I make sure that my weight belt is on and secure.

It's thanks to our DM and my buddy at the time that-that diver was saved from what could've been an accident.

Sorry, couldn't tell you anymore about how that Japanese diver lost her weight belt because of language barrier.

Had a weight belt drop past me once at @70' in Turks and Caicos. Had to think quick, jackknifed and caught the belt then looked up to see who'd lost it. A second group was passing through ours and one of these divers was heading up quick! Was able to catch him by the fin and stop his ascent, but until I handed him that belt I don't think he knew what had happened! He had a pretty worried look on his face til I hand his belt back.

Over in seconds, and each group continued their separate ways. Other than that diver and myself, I'm not sure anyone else even noticed the incident it happened so quickly.

Whats a weight belt?
Its that webby thing with a buckle and some lead on it some fortunate people in tropic locations can do without.. those b******s.
And of course theres people who dont use it not because their not carrying lead but because they have their lead intergrated :p

On topic: Glad the OP (and gypsyjim) was able to keep the runaways down and get them their weights back

Did the run away trip once back in the 80's and wouldn't wish it on others! Painful lesson for me on re training when first trying radically new gear (first BCD I ever saw, in my case). Non stop 70' to the surface hurts! A lot.

This is a good reason to keep some weight non-ditchable. Even if you don't have a weight integrated BCD, you can shove some weights in your BCD pockets... This is especially important when wearing a drysuit. Losing 30LB of lead would be catastrophic as there would be no way to stop your ascent.

There were 2 Coast Guard divers that died about two years ago because they had weights stuffed in their pockets. The investigation pretty much proved to me that stuffing enough non-dumpable weights in your pocket intending to stay submerged is not a real good plan. IMHO.

There were 2 Coast Guard divers that died about two years ago because they had weights stuffed in their pockets. The investigation pretty much proved to me that stuffing enough non-dumpable weights in your pocket intending to stay submerged is not a real good plan. IMHO.

You don't stuff enough weight to keep you submerged. You keep enough weight so that you don't rocket to the surface. Another idea is not to keep some weight unditchable but instead have a system that lets you decide how much to ditch. IE: Integrated weights + weight belt gives me three different locations to drop. Yes it makes it longer to drop all of your weight but the trade off is better (IMO).

Losing 30 or 35lb at 120 ft is near certain death... I am not telling anyone to not use ditchable weight. I am saying that you should only have enough ditchable weight that you can control your ascent if you do happen do lose your belt or pockets, etc.. When I am using 30lb with my drysuit, it is because that is what I need to be negative with a single tank. One should never have more unditchable weight than what it takes for them to be slightly positive at depth.

Losing 30 or 35lb at 120 ft is near certain death... I am not telling anyone to not use ditchable weight. I am saying that you should only have enough ditchable weight that you can control your ascent if you do happen do lose your belt or pockets, etc.. When I am using 30lb with my drysuit, it is because that is what I need to be negative with a single tank. One should never have more unditchable weight than what it takes for them to be slightly positive at depth.

Totally agree.

For some strange reason I was never happy trusting my life to a single plastic buckle or a bit of velcro................................

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom