Dropped regulator, BCD and tank.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigduke12

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So in my stupidity my stuff was all set up on the boat, turned round and BAM, all fell off onto the floor. My bad. Landed on first stage. All looked fine, and on a subsequent dive all worked as normal.

Anything I should have checked out.

Thanks

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

So in my stupidity my stuff was all set up on the boat, turned round and BAM, all fell off onto the floor. My bad. Landed on first stage. All looked fine, and on a subsequent dive all worked as normal.

Anything I should have checked out.

Thanks

Be careful, there's obvious (visible) damage, and the possibility of hidden damage, like one or more hoses suffering internal damage and being weakened/compromised, which may later blow out at a bad time.

Thanks. I have spare hoses at home I will change out. More concerned about the actual first stage. There are no leaks.

Thanks. I have spare hoses at home I will change out. More concerned about the actual first stage. There are no leaks.

I've had that happen a couple different times many years ago, and I did end up damaging my 1st stages, especially the mating surface where the regulator yoke touches the tank valve, requiring replacing 1st stage parts and tank valve parts too. There's a chance your yoke on the 1st stage is bent/distorted as well.

I wouldn't have dived it. Get it serviced. Just because you got lucky once doesn't mean you're going to get lucky every time.

Diving was only to ten meters. I actually called and asked a friend who owns a dive shop and services equipment and reckons if there are no leaks it is fine out of the first stage or connection to the tank it is fine.

Depending on the height, angle, and material the gear fell on, it's surprising how much damage can happen smacking into concrete or steel boat decks, so examine for hidden stress cracks in the metal. Too bad one can't X-ray the internals to see if any critical moving parts were knocked out of alignment or anything.

I rolled mine off a truck bed directly onto the 1st stage about 5 years ago. Of course it landed on the only large rock in a dirt parking area. I picked it up, dusted it off and went diving.

A couple years later I had it serviced, asked them to check for that specifically and they found nothing wrong. ymmv

Too bad one can't X-ray the internals to see if any critical moving parts were knocked out of alignment or anything.
Be a lot simpler to have it serviced. I doubt the reg. mfr. has x-ray templetes available to compare.

Last edited:
When gear drops off the benches where I work, typically the bit that gets damaged is the hoses as previously mentioned. There is a metal collar a little less than an inch long where the hose screws in to the first stage and the hose often gets severed or damaged there. If you do switch out the hoses then take note of how easily they unscrew, does it feel like the threads are damaged? Take a look inside the port to check the threads in the 1st stage.

Its difficult to say without having seen the fall but thats the most common damage I have seen. somebody mentioned a service, sure, if all the pieces and parts come apart then go back together again without force then i guess they are all fine.

By any chance, when you went for the dive, did you ask anyone to look for bubbles coming from your 1st stage?

I rolled mine off a truck bed directly onto the 1st stage about 5 years ago. Of course it landed on the only large rock in a dirt parking area. I picked it up, dusted it off and went diving.
Bonaire possibly? :D Been there done that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom