Driving to/from DIve site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DomaNitrogen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey;

I live in Cairo and drive to dive sites in the RedSea 4 - 5 hour drive. I dive and sometimes go back in the same day so that could be 10 hour drive. There are no altitude's change during the trip.

But at some point i am very tired when going back. Most of the times i am alone so i have to do the driving my self. Would these posses any sort of problem or might cause DCS ? has these been reported before?

I drink a lot of water during my trip and eat well. and I always dive well within the NDL with a lot to spare i would not exceed 20M in quick dives like that

I read that a lot of people do that but any medical advice would be very helpful.

Thanks inadvance

Hi DomaNitrogen,

For obvious reasons, driving 4-5 hours, diving and then driving back makes for a very long and fatiguing day. It would be surprising if you weren't sleepy on the trip back to Cairo (largely a rather boring drive as I recall). And indeed it does pose a safety problem when one drives while drowsy and not fully alert.

While it is preferable for off-gassing to remain mildly active rather being completely sedentary following diving, there is no reason to suspect that the drive would contribute to a significantly increased risk of DCS.

Following your last dive of the day, stroll about town in a leisurely fashion for about a half hour. Drink plenty of fluids; no alcohol, but a little caffeine may help fight sleepiness. You also might try diving nitrox to see if this lessens the fatigue.

Any chance of finding a dive buddy to share the driving duties? How about taking the bus down and doing an overnight before diving?

Responsive?

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hello DomaNitrogen:

As DocVikingo mentioned, walking around for a while before sitting down to drive is a good idea. There is considerable data from both NASA and the US Air Force to suggest that this activity is helpful to promote offgassing.

Naturally, driving while tired is potentially dangerous. Individuals who are not fully alert are a potential risk to themselves - and others.

Dr Deco :doctor:

The next class in Decompression Physiology for 2007 is August 18-19. :1book:
This class is at the USC campus in Los Angeles.
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

Thank you;

That was very helpful. Alcohol and driving/diving is out of the question :), I will be doing Nitrox shortly just to play it a little bit safer;

I would have to find me a buddy to solve that issue for good. I am more concerned about the trip itself. I do drink coffee and if i am tired i sleep over and go back the second day

Thanks for the input

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom