Driving pistons cracked on Bauer KA20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drcolyn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am busy restoring a KA20 and during dismantling dropped one of the driving pistons and it had a light crack at bottom end of the piston. It seemed like very bad luck at the moment but a local engine rebuilder welded the aluminium chop chop. What was more important is that after getting it back I took a close look at the quality of the welding and discovered the top has 3 hairline crackes running outwards from the point of impact with the floating piston. The cracks can be seen from the bottom as well. If I put it back it might have caused a lot of damage later during a catastrofic failure. Is this type of wear on driving pistons normal after 600 hours of operation. I noticed the compressor was worked on before and badly tuned (the oil regulating valve was not adjusted to give back pressure at all and the 4 stage floating piston is worn and scoured. What can be done to prevent this type of wear?

If the guide piston is cracked where it meets the final floating and the floater and sleeve are scored, you are taking a big risk trying to reuse them, IMHO. I would imagine the "0" oil pressure had quite a bit to due with the results you are observing.

Craig

Back
Top Bottom