Drinking underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have run into this on quite a few of my dives lately. incredibly dry mouth and then i get this salty taste to it. it totally makes me wanna gag. i thought had something to do with my regs not working properly and somehow letting salt water in but it would happen on one tank and then not on the next. I never tried swishing salt water as i thought that would just make the problem worse. but i was looking into just bringing something that i could potentiially sip on to help alleviate that sensation. so im not gagging by the time i get back on the boat.

tip: i found i was opening my mouth too much and "wind-tunnel" breathing through my reg which was giving me really dry mouth and throat no more than 20 minutes into my dives. try "breathing through your teeth" a little more from your reg.. helped me tons.

side note: salt ( prefix to "saltwater" ) DEHYDRATES YOU!!! dont "swish" it, dont drink it, its only going to temporarily make your dry mouth go away but could lead to much worse problems.. DCI/DCS to name a couple. be safe and remember that if you can fit a glow stick in your gear, you can also bring down an unfrozen otter-pop ( or 10 =P )

I believe the op is well hydrated based on what the op has wrote. It is breathing the compressed air that causes the dry mouth. I drink plenty of water starting the day before I go diving and all day of the dive. I still suffer from dry mouth so bad it makes me gag unde water.

great post, I drink and hydrate a ton before and after but sometimes on the second or third dive of the day, I feel like something sucked all the moisture out of my mouth. I think I may try the caprisun idea.

If taking the reg out to swish is unsettling, most regs tend to breathe a bit wet when inverted. So just hang upside down for a minute and enjoy getting a little water in with your air. Ain't weightlessness grand? :D

I have dry mouth as well but it is not from being thirsty since i make sure to stay hydrated pre-dive, It was caused by the dry air.

What I usually do is just take out and put back my reg then purge (no swishing anything). That usually release some fluid from my throat and help with the dryness. It is not a one time solution tho..., the dryness will come back after a while, just need to do it again.

Back
Top Bottom