Drinking the Night before a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jrasch - keep it light in the evening and have fun diving. If you're not hung over, have fun. Whether DCS is linked to dehydration or not...you heard the comments. Only one thing I found, doesn't take too much alcohol the night before, drunk or not, to find out that even if you don't feel dehydrated, wait till you suck for 30 minutes on a tank of bone dry air.:D PS...so much for "flame free zone"

Bailing out on this thread. It got to "stupid" pretty quick.

Guy with 14 posts and a soon to be OW asks a question and takes a beating for it. Ugh! :thumbs_down:

That's quite different (less conservative) than what I've seen you post before

I can't specifically recall addressing this question before, but I can't think of why I would have given a different answer. It is not a good idea to get deeply intoxicated the night before a dive, but most people can have a drink or two at or after dinner and feel just fine the next morning.

I have absolutely no problem with drinking the night before diving.

The first time I hit Beaches in T&C I was quite concerned that, arriving later in the day, I would not be able to dive the next morning, since the boat sign up sheet was already "full".

A DM at the resort's op pulled me aside, and said something to the effect: "Put your name on the sheet anyway. This is an All Inclusive, and chances are tomorrow morning half of the 'divers' on the sign in sheet won't show"

I may have a beer in the evening when diving, but 3 years in a row I hit that resort, and dived my very first morning because while a lot of other divers could not resist the free alcohol, I opted for moderation.

Go ahead, drink your fill. I am ready to take the spot you leave open tomorrow.

I will be going on a cruise in Novemeber and since I am on vacation with the group of people I am with we will be drinking alot of sctoch. I have found a few posts on here but nothing specifically answered the question so I wanted to check and see what the rules are.

Is there any amount of time I should have in between drinking and diving, if I am drinking the night before? It seems from what I ready ideally if you are not hungover the next day and drink a lot of water you should be ok is this fairly accurate?
Maybe it makes sense to put this situation in perspective for a novice. Just treat your diving trip
like everyday life. So you come in hungover or drunk for work in the morning. What is the worst thing that can happen? Well if you work in the post office, then maybe a few letters might go astray. No big deal. 747 pilot? you could become headline news.

I suggest you treat diving as if you were a 747 pilot and not a mail sorter.

As we say up here in the Great White North - "drink responsibly, you are your own liquor control board"

I will be going on a cruise in Novemeber and since I am on vacation with the group of people I am with we will be drinking alot of sctoch. I have found a few posts on here but nothing specifically answered the question so I wanted to check and see what the rules are.

Is there any amount of time I should have in between drinking and diving, if I am drinking the night before? It seems from what I ready ideally if you are not hungover the next day and drink a lot of water you should be ok is this fairly accurate?

The old saying " stupid hurts " or to be more blunt phuq around phuq around won't be around.

Personal choice IMHO. To each his own. As long as your decision doesn't directly impact or effect someone else's safety or rights, then everyone else with an opinion can go fly a kite.

But..... keep in mind that if your decision places someone else in a position of having to perform a rescue..... then that still counts as impacting someone else's safety.

Personally.... I go on vacation to dive, sleep, relax, read , and......party. I'm a big boy and have no problem diving with a bit of a hangover. Don't plan it that way, but if it happens and I wake up feeling a little less that "perfect"...not big deal.

Also, I really enjoy having an ice cold brewski.. waiting for me in the truck right after an afternoon dive.... and even if I'm gonna dive again in an hour, it's no big deal.

One of the great things about shore diving in Bonaire. No rules, no standards and especially..... no self appointed righteous know-it-alls who think they are experts and that others are supposed to live by their rules.

Last edited:
My years of life have taught me that over indulgence hurts. Seldom do I have more then 2 beers occasionally I will have 3 almost never 4. If I am spending the money to go diving 2 will probably be the limit. I have been known to have a couple extras during my 24 hours prior to flying.

I think age will play a role, at 25 I could drink and get up in the morning and do anything, no problem. Hungover is no way to go diving.

Back
Top Bottom