drilling holes in old tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerryfreak

Reaction score
I recently had an employee take in some SCBA tanks to a scuba shop to be hydrostatically tested and refilled (SCBA's are for rescue application, basically identical to a scuba tank, but used above water)

They said they were too old, and that they would have to drill a hole in them so they couldnt be used again.

They didnt even test them, and today she picked up the setups, the tanks were not even returned.

I am quite angry, as I at least wanted the tanks back to match part numbers and replace them.

I want to go and raise he11 with the owner, asI am not aware of any 'law' that would require them to drill the tanks.

If they cant produce the tanks in the condition I gave them to them, I am consideirng taking some action against them.

Q for you scuba pros: is this status quo (drilling old tanks)? by what authority?

Welcome to Scubaboard Jerry. Sounds pretty radical to me. I can see them not filling them or giving them a Vis inspection but drilling a hole in them???? I'm not a Pro/owner etc... I'll watch the other responses you get.

apparently they literally refused to return them until they had time to drill them. it took us months to get them back.

the tank may have been old, but it was probably filled once or twice in its lifetime and looked perfect. I am 99% sure it would have passed a hydrostatic test with flying colors

I call BUNK, if they do not return the tanks, WITHOUT holes, promptly tell them you would like new replacements or you will meet them in court, and follow through with the court action.
Scuba shops are NOT tank police. If they fail hydro, the tanks get XXXX-out and returned to owner, to either make bells out of or sell for scrap.

If some shop monkey drilled any of my tanks they would have a small claims suit against them so fast they wouldn't even have time for their head to spin.

This is specifically covered in the PSI/PCI VCI course.

Were the cylinders composite (meaning kevlar?). If so, inspectors are required to remove those tanks from service after a certain number of years. These cylinders were produced under DOT exemption E-7235. Certain serial number cylinders are supposed to be removed from service period. All composite cylnders are limited to a 15 year life from date of manufacture.

If the cylinders were steel, then the shop has no right to physically destroy the cylinder without prior consent. However, that consent is often required per the form before the tanks are left with the inspector. If no such agreement exists, and the cylinder fails inspection, then the inspector can X out the tank, but is not suppose to drill it or score the threads.

If you want further guidance on this, you can purchase the CGA standards, or perhaps get the pertinent information from the tank manufacturer. I know luxfer publishes this information for its SCBA composite tanks, and I keep a copy in my inspection documentation.

Best of luck.

Right or wrong I have seen tanks with a hole drilled in the side. Not giving you the tanks back, I wouldn't stand for it either. At least you know that someone isn't making a few bucks off you.

I beleive they were composite.

That would make sense.

Do you have a link to those requirements?

nadwidny:
If some shop monkey drilled any of my tanks they would have a small claims suit against them so fast they wouldn't even have time for their head to spin.

I just ran a quick Google on taking failed tanks out of service immediately and many shops make them unusable one way or another.
Example: "At ASK Water Sports we do FAIL tanks! This is not always due to one major defect. Sometimes it is due to an uneasy feeling due to several marginal issues with a tank. We normally destroy a failed tank by damaging the threads so the tank can not be restored to use. This is done only after a thorough, professional inspection."

from
http://www.visualplus.net/Tank Safety and Professional Inspection.htm

You can't link to the CGA documents, and they are EXPENSIVE to buy. However, a hydro test facility will have copies of the CGA. The references I had were from my PSI course documentation. It gives the CGA rule, but does not go into depth at all.

This is the luxfer documentation on composite cylinders:

http://www.luxfercylinders.com/downloads/docs/luxcompinspectmanual.pdf

They have other stuff there including inspection procedures for composite and steel tanks, etc.

I don't know anyone who has the CGA standards you need, or I'd put you in contact with them. I know it's a PITA to have your cylinders drilled or taken away. And the shop probably should have done a much better job explaining what was going to happen before they did it. But it is most likely they really were following industry guidelines and taking older cylinders off the market per DOT/CGA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom