Drifters found after major rescue operation - Moulia, Cyprus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I wonder if it'd be cheaper for the Coast Guards to loan PLBs to divers?

The two divers who were missing in the sea area of Moulia close to Paphos Airport were found in good condition after a rescue operation mounted by the Joint Rescue Coordination Center (JRCC) of Larnaca.

According to a statement, the JRCC immediately put into action the national search and rescue plan, “Nearchos”, sending to the area a helicopter of the National Guard, a boat of the port & naval police, lifeguards of the Paphos district administration by boat and as well a patrol of the Paphos Police Directorate.

The first diver was located at 11.20am by the speedboat of the Port & Naval Police and a little later at 12.15pm the second was located by the helicopter of the National Guard.

The two divers were wearing the necessary safety equipment (red buoy) which helped to located them easily.

I'm surprised they went diving as the sea conditions off that area were bad all week and underwater viz would have been pretty lousy. I suspect it may have been a boat dive in the MPA off Moullia, however shore dives can be done off the "airport reef" area. At least they were found safe and well and fortunately appears they had DSMB. Alas the news report does not go into any great detail to use as a learning experience. They also may have been freedivers spearfishing as a lot of locals go out in that area.

Back
Top Bottom