Drift diving is NOT so relaxing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drift diving is not fighting the current.. but sitting on a bus while admiring the scenery passing through.
Drift diving in Cozumel was the most satisfying and relaxing experience I've ever had: i was literally sitting with my camera doing videos and pictures consuming much less air than usual.
Fighting the current is a different beast, in the Canary Islands (Atlantic) we often have strong currents on the wrecks that would drive you away, I've ended dives after 20 minutes because of low air (because of my big camera setup drag) and at the top you have some nice 4 meters or more waves waiting for you, and you need to come back aboard of a inflatable with all your rig.. that you would certainly avoid, but still a great experience.

The first dives I did after my OW course was looking for whale sharks in Belize with very sporty seas. You could see out the side of the wave during the safety stop. Getting back on the boat was a huge exercise in timing the ladder. It never bothered me, though. I would call it a drift dive because the boat wasn't anchored, but I couldn't tell how far we may have drifted because there was no reef for a reference. I have loved drift dives ever since, and I would call that the most difficult drift diving I have ever done.

Now, I have not been caught in a downwelling in CZM, but I believe I can keep a calm mind and fin out of it (not against it). I would love to do the washing machine dive in Exuma, too.

200-500 dives? Is this an accurate score of dives you have undertaken or a mistake? Please don't take offence by this as I am genuinely trying to gauge your experience level. Please could you give me an idea of the sort of diving you do and where. Thanks.
Another diver to ignore!

Another diver to ignore!

Soggybadger was trying to be helpful. He was genuinely trying to understand your experience level because the number of dives you have listed don't seem to match the level of questions you are asking. Perhaps if he and others had a better gauge on that, they might be able to offer more specific advice.

East florida coast has north south reefs.... Some places has 3 reefs, some have 2. Parallels. Currents usually goes south to north, but sometimes north to south. Some places and sometime, it goes east to west, blowing you into the shore.

You either dive east, west, or mid reef. Where you are dropped off, is usually down current. Sometime the surface current is very strong, and with a dive flag on a big ball, it can really be tough to fight the dive flag. Other places, you do not need a dive flag, and you are to float an smb before you surface.

The goal is to stay on the reef, and not be blown out into the sand, or worse, into the deeper east side of the third reef in Ft Lauderdale. It is not always as easy going as you like. I have floated for 10 min or more over sand, till reaching the adjacent reef.

When you hunt lobster, you often fight the current to stay along a finger or the ledges, so you do fight the current a bit. 80% of my dives have been in current - which would be about 250 dives by now.

Soggybadger was trying to be helpful. He was genuinely trying to understand your experience level because the number of dives you have listed don't seem to match the level of questions you are asking. Perhaps if he and others had a better gauge on that, they might be able to offer more specific advice.
I don’t think he is looking for advice but trying to do teaching threads. There has been a pattern. Not saying good or bad. Not flaming. Just stating observations and facts.

The reality is that we teach divers who can barely swim, who can barely stay alive in a current free, wave free swimming pool, who has only dive in fresh water lake and quarries for the OW and AOW cards....

And you throw them out in a boat, rough sea, currents.... And expect them, by their number of dives, or rating... to handle the challenges and complexities of current and boat dives.

I think the flamers need to keep their flame thrower to themselves... and let people share their personal experiences so that average joe divers can get insight on how to handle situations that they have not been exposed to.

Reactions: Ana
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom