Drift dive issues in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're the sort of photographer who likes to hunker down in front of the perfect subject for 15 minutes at a time, Coz is going to frustrate you. But out of our six days of diving, there were only one or two where the current was strong enough to make taking more casual photographs difficult.

I have dove Cozumel for many years, many trips. I absolutely love the drift wall dives there. You can, pending the boat and DM, simply fin over to look at something if you feel the need or want for a pic or just for a look. I highly recommend doing the Columbia Wall, the Santa Rosa Wall, and the Palancar Reef and Wall. If/when I head to Coz those are on my must do list! Love them!

imagine yourself having a gentle flight through a beautiful wildlife preserve with new sights coming up to greet you as you move effortlessly along.
when it is over and you go topside, be prepared to meet some of the most genuinely friendly folks you are likely to encounter anywhere.

From what I understand, Cozumel has a rep. for excellent visibility, with current a reason for that.

I got to dive twice in Cozumel in January; our cruise ship was there one day, & the 4 of us booked privately with Living Underwater (they've got big 120 cf steel tanks, and 2 of us are big, air hog kinda guys) - we had a great time.

The sites we dove were Palancar Gardens and Santa Rosa. The current wasn't real bad. The main thing is, you'll be following a dive guide most likely, and need to stay pretty close to the reef so the current (which can be stronger up off the reef) doesn't move you along faster than him. If that happens, you could waste time & effort fighting the current. I believe my wife and brother-in-law did some of that. I did have to fight the current a bit here and there, as the guide would stop and look for things to show us, but for the most part, it was fairly low effort diving.

Our first dive (it was an hour and 15 minutes!!! For me, that is awesome!) my friend found a yellow stingray and the guide found a channel clinging crab. Several lionfish were around (I think I counted 7 or so). One of second dive, after we got in the water & were waiting to gather up and go, a big spotted eagle ray swam right under us and pretty close, then a roughly 3 - 4' black grouper (who must be used to being fed) swam up about arm's length from me, and tagged along (albeit farther off) on the dive. I also got to see a scorpion fish and a southern stingray. As I recall, the reef at Santa Rosa was more 'ornate' looking.

I've been to Bonaire 4 times. Definitely a different 'kind' of diving. Given that my wife & main dive buddy are quite prone to sea sickness (and no, Bonine doesn't seem to make it all go away, even taken in advance), I think Bonaire is probably what we'll aim for in the future. But I'd love to hit Cozumel for about a week with Living Underwater and those big tanks.

Richard.

Agree with all posts. Some dives, I just clip my camera and enjoy the flight. Others, like Palancar Caves, you can be very still and shoot while protected within the reefs. I enjoy it most when I don't fight and "hang up" the camera when the current dictates. Outstanding swim throughs and still wonderful coral. Bonaire last Fall and will be in Roatan in June, but always try to make a quick trip to Coz because of the reef structure.

Rob

Our friends keep reporting stories (they heard from a friend who heard from a friend maybe?) of drift currents that you can't even see things/enjoy the dive.

So, really...is the current/drift diving THAT bad? Granted our friends do underwater photography so I can understand why drift diving wouldn't work out for that (or CAN you slow yourself down for pics?). But for your normal diver?

There is plenty to see while drift diving. And, with skill and practice photography is easy to do in most cases. Although, drift diving may require a diver to learn new skills or just perfect skills he or she already has... For many it is something that is worthwhile and fun, but for some, drift diving is not for them. However, if your not used to drift diving, it may take a little time to get the knack of it.

Keep in mind:

Good buoyancy: Watching out for what is in front , above and under you. Body position against current can push you up or down very quickly. Use it to your advantage for moving in the water. In all honesty, one of the best ways of learning this sill is to watch the turtles :) ! They are the true masters !!

Control kicking: Learn how to use fins with the current. Very often fins are used like rudders instead of finning (is that a word ??) . Did I mention the turtles ??? :turtle: And yes, you can stop in current. Turning into the current and finning slowly is often enough to keep you in one spot. Watch the fish, they do it all the time. :fish:

Control breathing: Watch air consumption as a diver may use more working with or against the current. Slow steady breathing helps buoyancy too.

Communicate with your buddy/divemaster: Be aware that the current can separate buddies quickly. If the current is a bit much the pace can get exhausting. My husband and I have a special signal when we need to find a place to rest. We make a horizontal letter "T" with our hands, then point to a coral formation to duck behind and get out of the current. This way Michael knows where I am going and he is prepared not to overshoot the rest stop. Get down low and hover above the bottom, holding on to coral is not permitted. Resting a half of min. is usually enough to regroup . This is also a good way to wait for the group to catch up to you if you happen to get ahead of them. Plus, you may be surprised what you find while you are waiting :wink:

Safety: Always have Signaling device (sausage) and whistle and no how to use them. If you do get separated from your divemaster/group you may have to surface on your own. A surface marker and small reel with 30 feet of line is all that is needed. Float the marker, look and listen for boat traffic on the ascent. Once on top, look around for your boat or any boat if needed. Make sure to know the name of your boat and dive op. Blowing a whistle is also a good way to get a boat captain's attention if needed.

Sometimes the currents do pick up and you do go along rather quickly, and, granted, sometimes the current can be VERY fast. In those cases, the only option may be to tuck the camera, batten down the hatches, spread your arms out and fly like a Manta ! But then, there are times that the conditions are entirely opposite and you have to actually kick. It all depends on the reef and/or day.

Do some research and read the trip reviews from the past few months. Find 3 - 5 dive ops with reports of drift diving Cozumel and divemasters who have helped divers with drift diving. If you would like to book a Cozumel trip, then decide on a short list of ops that are of interest to you and contact the dive op with questions. These folks are the masters and their guidance and advice is phenomenal. I can say, in all honesty, that my divemaster for the past 9 years, Pedro Pablo of Blue XT SEA Diving is one of the main reasons I enjoy diving Cozumel so much. If you pay attention to your divemaster and watch how turtles get around in the water, (In many cases, they are one and the same) you will do just fine !! :) Overall, Go to Cozumel ! Then go with the flow and enjoy !! Please don't forget a trip report when you get back !

I love drift diving. When the currents are faster it really feels like flying. The faster currents seem to draw more sea life as well. It is a real challenge to take photographs. You have to learn to look ahead so you can time your shot well and hope there is something to hold a finger to for a moment or two to get a shot in. Still, it is worth it for the size and variety of stuff you will see. Staying close to the reef helps "slow" things a bit. Just relax and go with the flow!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom