Dream dive trip to??? Help with suggestions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys, im new here:wink:

Well, heres my story/dilemma. I just got accepted to law school this fall and before i sign my life away to books, my hubby and mom are chipping in to send me on a dive trip. woohoo! except now we cant agree on where i go....:argue:

I dove a few days on Roatan last summer and loved it (the diving NOT the island). The next few months is the last time ill have a few months free to dive and travel so i decided to go somewhere tropical, affordable, safe, and get my dive masters.

So after much research i narrowed my choices down to Phuket, Thailand, and various other islands nearby. The problem is, my mom is freaking out about safety and my husband is freaking out about distance. They are making this difficult but i want to make them AND me happy, finding some sort of compromise. My mom would prefer i was in a first world country, but i want to see somewhere really new and different. and somewhere with really cheap prices, and very safe for a young female to travel alone.

Anyone have any ideas for me???? Id really appreciate it! Thanks!!!

Victoria, BC or the Puget Sound or the San Juans. :)

Hey..you said new and different, right? I'm assuming you've done a lot of warmer water diving. If you prefer an urban setting, I'd go with Victoria or the Sound...Seattle is a great city! If you prefer something a bit more rural, rustic, or untamed...try the San Juans. We have life up here that can be a once in a lifetime experience. From the six-gill sharks to the wolf eels to the giant octopus..plus all the invertebrates you can shake a stick at and large marine mammals to boot! All the safety and amenities of your local first-world countries...inexpensive compared to a trip halfway around the world...and safe for a young female to travel alone. (okay...so you haven't met some of the gentlemen divers up here yet...but they don't bite much...LOL :) )

Who says a coldwater destination can't be the dive trip of a lifetime?

Cheers,
Austin

jacquelyn r:
So after much research i narrowed my choices down to Phuket, Thailand, and various other islands nearby. The problem is, my mom is freaking out about safety and my husband is freaking out about distance. They are making this difficult but i want to make them AND me happy, finding some sort of compromise. My mom would prefer i was in a first world country, but i want to see somewhere really new and different. and somewhere with really cheap prices, and very safe for a young female to travel alone.
Phuket is the right choice allthough your mom don't know it yet. It's the closest thing to call "first world country", cheap prizes and SAFE f.a.y.f.t.t.a.:D (if you stay away from bike's and scooters, the traffic is the killer) Staying at Chalong is the best choice (thats where the "diving" starts every day) and everything, dayboats, liveboards, a dozen of dive centers etc just within 3min walk. If you need help with your mom I can send PM if she got something to ask:14:

I'm with TeddyDiver on this one. I've done some "dream vacation" research on Phuket and so far it has a lot more promise than other locations I've considered. It seems to be a more low-profile location than a lot of others.

I'll be hitting a Blackbeard's Cruise out of Florida in January as a graduation present to myself, but the next trip is to GBR off Australia with my dad.

Lake Superior or Tobermory.....Ok maybe not have a great trip wherever you decide.

Thanks for all the ideas im looking into each one! (except for lake superior, i live ON lake michigan and i know that there are some brown/gray fish down there, an old shoe, and a tire :ermm: ) hehe.

The reason why i love Phuket is because i can stay in a guesthouse with a bed, tv, desk, dresser, room cleaning, and maybe even AC for around 12 dollars a night! i know i can eat for under $10 dollars a day easy, this makes living and eating only 2 G's for 3 months. Then classes (beg. to dive masters) are under 2 G's as well. So all thats left is plane ticket and alittle spending money with whats left over. Thats 3 months on an island living and diving for under 5 grand. What makes it all possible is the living and eating for 20 dollars a day...I looked into the GB Reef and classes were so expensive i didnt even bother looking at rent. Arg. And i cant do the whole Hostel/bunkbed/keep-you-stuff-in-the-open thing again after a really freaky experience in Amsterdam.

Does any one know of a place to rent in australia near the reef that will charge a longer-term diver around $300 us dollars a month? Whats a good GB reef location that is not very touristy with amazing diving that can interest someone who will be in the water almost every day for 90 days? hehe sorry i know i have alot of questions, its just hard to do months of research all over again when your mom comes and squashes everything:confused:

Thanks guys! keep the suggestions coming!

I think belize would be a dream dive trip they have so much to offer from Beginner diving to tech diving. Lots of Good shore diving. plus most of the resorts are very nice

Back
Top Bottom