Drama at Electric Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharkbaithawaii

Contributor
Reaction score
So we pull in and 6 college kids are taking snorekling gear and heading out. So while we waited for the mutant polulation to mellow out so we could get into the water we watch the kids. Lo and behold, don't know if they ever realized it but they swam right into the outflow and pushed them out. Wasnt pretty after that. One guy got stuck and luckily there was someone with a boat at anchor who was able to him back. Luck for them he was there. So we secured the impromtu rescue swimmer detail, decided masks and fins only, and the Navy medic that was with us was breathing a sigh of relieve, his thrid time diving with us. I am gonna try and put the pick of how far out they where when the boat got him.
All the sharks are back too couple of 6-7 fts and one tiny pup. Sat, found seven sharks there.

WOW, you type even worse than I do, didn't know that ws possable! AND, I haven't seen sharks there, you must be bait! Lets dive and I will take pics...
I have a few days early this week if you want to hook up for a swim..

That's one of my favorite games when diving Electric, betting on how far a tourist will get blown off-shore... no matter how many times you say watch for the current, they'll go for a trip.

Swimming into the flow and getting blasted out to sea was half the fun of diving there. The best way was to sneak around the lower bottom lip so you got the best ride. The exhaling was a lot of work though - I exhaled air that I hadn't gotten around to breathing yet.
Never saw a shark there - some people saw whitetips every now and then come flyng in for a look. From there on down south towards Barbers Point was great lobster holing. You just drag someone behind the boat until they find a big enough puka to swim into and harvest lobster.
The problem down towards Barbers Point was that the slack on the tow line either meant your diver found a hole worth a look or someone ate him.

Tom Winters:
The problem down towards Barbers Point was that the slack on the tow line either meant your diver found a hole worth a look or someone ate him.
Isn't that why you tie Triple Barbs to their Ankles?:lol:

I used to launch into that flow, with full kit and without, with buddy and without, with working brains and without. I quit after once getting blown well over a quarter-mile out and then getting caught in the offshore current booking towards Barber's Point. That was one helluva long swim back. My two buddies had lost me, got back to the beach, waited and scanned and started to get scared -- after all, I had the car keys.

The Kahe dive can bite. I once pulled out a diver who was getting whupped by the surf and was about to get face-planted into the rocks. I'll never ever forget her bulging bugeyes when I grabbed her. To her credit, she didn't tip over into full-blown panic but did have a shaking cry on the beach.

Kahe has a sort-of/kind-of "tunnel" complex fronting the now blocked-off portion of the parking area. A reef whitetip or two can occasionally be found resting in those tunnels/overhangs.

Ok maybe I am missing something, there have been sharks there since last octish with the exception of a couple of weeks. They are always under the same overhang. In fact one we named hook because of said hook in his mouth.
Wild- I am typing in the dark and thats where i got the nick name. "Hey when we get to the shark cave you are the smallest so go around and come in the back with your light so we can take pictures from the front." Needless to say i went down the back and came face to face with the shark they wanted a picture of. I was to stupid to be scared, and didn't realize i wasn't supposed to go into the actual swim through and just shine my light in it.

This is hook and his friend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom