Dragon Set up LDS not helpful

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abcitydiver

Registered
Reaction score
When I went to my local LDS, and asked to play with and try on a Dragon AT - they did have it ...even in the right size. But the help stopped there. They worked hard to convince me that it was an inferior product, had no working knowledge of the BC and pushed hard to get me to buy the "other brand" with a similar lift system.

I liked the feel of the fit (though we couldnt hook it up to a tank and inflate), found the right size, ordered it from Divers-Supply (for almost $400 less than the LDS)..

So ok, Im a rank newbie. I've got some "finess" questions on this BC.
Where exactly are the rear trim pockets?
How does the back plate/padding adjust?
Any suggestions on attaching a knife, beyond the hose/webbing mounts? (ie: could I use a grommet system, and if so, where would you advise?)

By the way, I'm insanely happy I descided to abandon the LDS on this issue.

Jane

Jane,

Sorry to hear about your experience at the LDS. Sounds as if it was their loss.

Trim weight pockets are located down at the bottom on the inside of the bcd. You will find two "butterfly" pockets with retaining straps. These pockets can accomodate up to 5lbs per pocket.

The padding is not meant to be adjusted, other than the extra tail bone padding. This can be left down, should the tank ride low, or it can be folded up and tucked behind the back pad, creating extra lumbar support.

I would not suggest grommets on the bcd, for risk of puncturing the bladder. If you are determined, the only place I can think would be on the outside of one of the zippered pockets.

We appreciate you purchasing Mares equipment, I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy your new bcd. Should you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Best,

Zak-
Thanks for the speedier than light response!
I knew there was a reason I was sticking with Mares!
Jane

First of all let me state, for the record, I am an ardent patron of MARES products especially thier Airtrim Dragon BCD. I absoloutely love the thing. Anyway, now that I've got that out of the way: Mares has been having all sorts of trouble with supplying thier retailers with thier more popular equipment .., like the Dragon Airtrim for instance. I have sent more than a few freinds over to by the vest after trying mine and they've all been told "we can't get them right now". Furthermore, I own the Mares Nemo sport watch/computer and the download interface for the watch has been unavailable almost since the first day the watch was introduced! The irony of it all is that I purchased the Nemo sport because the Titanium version of thier regular Nemo wasn't going to be available for months (to the best of my knowledge the date I was told it would available from Mares has come and gone, and still no watch/computer. Good thing I didn't wast me time waiting on that one, huh?)! As if that we
I suspect that the LDS was growing a little frustrated with the service that they, as dealers, where getting from the factory. So, MARES FACTORY REP, please take note of this and pass it on to your superiors..... Stop advertising crap that you can't even supply! You have a first rate product but you can't maintain this behavior and expect people not to get a little frustrated! I do have some "brand loyalty" but your dangerously close to sending me elsewhere.

Hear hear!
Second that opinion! I have been absolutely DYING to get my hands on a Dragon AT, only to be told that it's on backorder and my dealer has NO IDEA when Mares is going to be sending them some more. I too am a Mares fanatic, IMHO they make outstanding equipment, but after a month now I am getting a little too frustrated ( today I tried on a Ralf Tech Cocoon and I almost bought it). I'll hold off just a little while longer but please Mares reps talk to your people! You're letting down your loyal followers.

(I feel better now):shakehead:
1011ster

First of all let me state, for the record, I am an ardent patron of MARES products especially thier Airtrim Dragon BCD. I absoloutely love the thing. Anyway, now that I've got that out of the way: Mares has been having all sorts of trouble with supplying thier retailers with thier more popular equipment .., like the Dragon Airtrim for instance. I have sent more than a few freinds over to by the vest after trying mine and they've all been told "we can't get them right now". Furthermore, I own the Mares Nemo sport watch/computer and the download interface for the watch has been unavailable almost since the first day the watch was introduced! The irony of it all is that I purchased the Nemo sport because the Titanium version of thier regular Nemo wasn't going to be available for months (to the best of my knowledge the date I was told it would available from Mares has come and gone, and still no watch/computer. Good thing I didn't wast me time waiting on that one, huh?)! As if that we
I suspect that the LDS was growing a little frustrated with the service that they, as dealers, where getting from the factory. So, MARES FACTORY REP, please take note of this and pass it on to your superiors..... Stop advertising crap that you can't even supply! You have a first rate product but you can't maintain this behavior and expect people not to get a little frustrated! I do have some "brand loyalty" but your dangerously close to sending me elsewhere.

Hi Rob,

Long time no chat. If I remember correctly we had some communication in the past. I would like to respond to your post. First of all I would like to thank you for your brand loyalty, and I am also very glad to hear you not only like your bcd but also have referred your friends.

Those of us in the sales side of our company would love for nothing more, than to be able to say we have an endless supply of our products in the warehouse for our dealers. This would be the perfect sceneario for the customer and our dealer. Of course the cost of maintaining this inventory would probably be enough to sink our ship. So we are then committed to forecasting each and every one of our more than 1000 SKU's not including thousands of parts (every month sometimes more often). I can say our inventory level is higher than it has ever been. The delivery and efforts from Italy to the U.S. is better than it's ever been. Our process of forecasting is better. We are also growing (this is good), but sometimes strains will occur with growth. One step taken is to build an entirely new production facility to focus primarily on bcds. This will be up and running soon.

While we are not 100% perfect, we are IMHO very good. Do we have a couple of holes? Sure. Do we make a mistake every now and then? Sure. Do we do our best to make sure our customers and dealers are happy? Absolutely. I find it unfortunate that you have chosen a couple of the products we are a little behind in. If I had to accentuate the positive, it would be, at least we have a product that is in greater demand than we anticipated.

As to the Nemo Sport download, they will be in our U.S. Warehouse within 1 months time. I agree that we should not market something we haven't been able to deliver. I am not sure what the challenge with bringing this interface to market was, but these things come up, and sometimes the website is not the 1st thing to be updated. We will try to do better here.

As for the Nemo Titatnium. I am not sure when you were trying to purchase it. It could have been when we were transitioning into the new Nemo Excel. This would explain the length of time that we were out of this product. I just returned from our office in Italy, and saw the investment we've made in the computer category, as well as the process of manufacturing these computers. We test every single unit, we do not batch test the computers. This takes time. There is so much human handling of these products, it actually surprises me that we are not out of product more often.

Rob, at the end of the day we are all trying very hard to keep you and our dealers happy with our products and brand. I think our participation on this board, is one example of this. I hope this lengthy explanation offers some insight into the situation, and I / we appreciate your support and would like to keep you as a brand loyal customer!

I have been absolutely DYING to get my hands on a Dragon AT, only to be told that it's on backorder and my dealer has NO IDEA when Mares is going to be sending them some more. I too am a Mares fanatic, IMHO they make outstanding equipment, but after a month now I am getting a little too frustrated

1011ster,
Thanks for your patience. Obviously I am not in greece so I can't tell you what their inventory levels are like. I hope your LDS took the time to call their distributor and ask. Most of the time we are able to have finite dates as to when products will be available to the dealer. Allowing a little wiggle room for customs etc..
We have positive inventory in the Dragon AT sizes XS - Med., XL by end of month, and we are still waiting for confirmation of Large. Maybe the distrubutor in Greece will have some sooner, they are obviously much closer to Italy. :D

Thanks for everyones support. Have fun and dive safe!

Best,

Hear hear!
Second that opinion! I have been absolutely DYING to get my hands on a Dragon AT, only to be told that it's on backorder and my dealer has NO IDEA when Mares is going to be sending them some more. I too am a Mares fanatic, IMHO they make outstanding equipment, but after a month now I am getting a little too frustrated ( today I tried on a Ralf Tech Cocoon and I almost bought it). I'll hold off just a little while longer but please Mares reps talk to your people! You're letting down your loyal followers.

(I feel better now):shakehead:
1011ster

Hey....Misery loves company! LOL.... Anyway, I haven't even heard of the "Ralf Tech Cocoon". I am getting ready to google that bad-boy in about 5 minutes. I can personally attest the Dragon AT's overall quality. So, if you can hold out at least long enough to give one a test dive, I'd highly recommend it. I can't imagine diving without the AirTrim...no more over-the-shoulder power inflater for me ever! On the other hand, if I can't buy a replacement....what's a Divemaster to do?
Well regardless of our favorite manufacturer woes.....I enjoyed reading your response.

Amen to the no more over the shoulder inflater!!!:coffee::coffee::coffee: Never again, unless I have to... Just this week-end, I was diving with some friends, one of which doesn't have all that much experience. She had a rental BC with regular corrugated hose and was having trouble finding it all the time... Reminded me of my first experiences...:shakehead: And my girlfriend, also with corrugated hose, aiming the hose in the air, trying to get it to the highest point (though she is good at this having a fair deal of experience); what a pain!!!:shakehead:

I know, eventually anybody will get more used to it and become proficient with it. But damn, I love my Air trim!!!!!!!

Cheers!:coffee:

Hey....Misery loves company! LOL.... Anyway, I haven't even heard of the "Ralf Tech Cocoon". I am getting ready to google that bad-boy in about 5 minutes. I can personally attest the Dragon AT's overall quality. So, if you can hold out at least long enough to give one a test dive, I'd highly recommend it. I can't imagine diving without the AirTrim...no more over-the-shoulder power inflater for me ever! On the other hand, if I can't buy a replacement....what's a Divemaster to do?
Well regardless of our favorite manufacturer woes.....I enjoyed reading your response.

Yeah man, I love the AT. Believe it or not, I had one of our students/customers tell us that the OWSI who did his "referral" actually said the AT was poorly designed and of the same quality! Turned out it was just one of those guys who can't except change. His biggest complaint/criticism was the oral inflater. Actually called it the dumbest thing he'd ever seen and unsafe. I suspect that he was dumbfounded when it came to the "orally inflate at the surface" part of certification dive and didn't posses the out-of-the-box ability to think/instruct. Oh well....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom