Draeger LAR V (If you have knowledge & experience on the unit)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was my understanding that Draeger offers no assistance/help to the public when it comes to the LARs?
That sounds about right. As a civilian you aren't "supposed" to have one.

Do you have any other RBs? What units?

That sounds about right. As a civilian you aren't "supposed" to have one.
No civilian support made sense at one time. Today not so much given civilian units like the chest mount Optima and others. Though maybe the eCCRs impose a higher training bar before purchase and use for those with nefarious intent. (Of course, they are a German company.)

@abnfrog has some experience on them IIRC. I have some....former colleagues...who aren't on ScubaBoard but may or may not have some time on them. If you drop pics here I will forward to them and see what they can contribute.

No civilian support made sense at one time. Today not so much given civilian units like the chest mount Optima and others. Though maybe the eCCRs impose a higher training bar before purchase and use for those with nefarious intent. (Of course, they are a German company.)

The LAR V is an oxygen RB and also used for mine clearance among other duties. Its nothing like an optima. It is export restricted along with many other CCRs that cannot be shipped to certain countries. This is the law the AddHelium skirted and Peter Sortis is trying to avoid jail time over.

LAR V is an oxygen RB and also used for mine clearance among other duties.
I know it is a pure O2 rebreather.

The LAR V is a small primitive chest mount CCR.
The Coptima is a small sophisticated chest mount CCR.

If you were arguing to keep this military applicable tool out of civilian hands and there was a Coptima on the table next to it, which looks a lot like it on steroids, your argument to the judge might be a bit strained. That is why I say it once made sense, back pre civilian CCRs of many stripes, but not so much today.

I do not think mine clearance is a big civilian role. Nor do I recall the LAR V being specifically low magnetic in generic varieties. Thou outside the cylinder there is not much to it. I also believe its role is more limpet placement instead of mine clearance.

yes i have one , and its NOT primitive ...its simple , dreager doesnt want to hear from you if you have one . they are alot of fun to dive if you go to therebreathersite Jan Willhelm lots of pictures and info on them (has my lar v tubox 10 on it ) you can get inconel tanks on the mod 2 but most have normal steel tanks , i even have a super rare yoke 1st stage lar v , im not sure why it was even built

and its NOT primitive ...its simple
My apologies on word choice. You are right. It is well-engineered and constructed. And its operating components are very simple: breathing loop with dive/surface valve, counter lung fed by demand and manual add valve attached to O2 cylinder.

As you have one, does the Choptima seem similar-sized? Sort of a roll-up fabric version plus eCCR and not just O2?

The basic specs look close enough to me. Except for the operating temperature and simplicity

LAR V
Lung: 5.5 l
Canister: 5.0 lb
Cylinder: 10.6 cuft at 3000 psi 1.5l 200 bar (1.9l/4l)
Size: 16.7 x 11.8 x 6.7
Weight: 28.6lb (13kg) neutral ready to dive (24.2 lb)
Operating temp: +28F to +104F (-2C to +40C)

Choptima
Lung: 6 l
Canister: 5 lb
Cylinder: LP13/27/32 AL13/20
Size: Looks longer with the counter lungs extending further up the chest.
Weight: about 26 lb ready to dive less dil (14.4lb w/o cyl or sorb. + ~7 cyl + 5 sorb)
Operating temp: +39°F to +90°F (+4C to +32C)

Sorry for the thread hijack NoBubbles.

Back
Top Bottom