DR 700 or Salvo 12w?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been looking at the Dive Rite 700 LED and the Salvo 12w LED and I am curious about opinions from divers that have used or seen either of these lights in action. I have heard lots of good things about the Salvo, and I realize that the DR light is new so there may not be many of you out there that have any experience with it.

So please, I am looking for the good and the bad of each.

Just from looking at the specs I am not sure how crazy I am about the elastic handle on the salvo. Otherwise they seem pretty comparable from the factory specs...

Thanks
Phil

I had my first dive with my brand new Salvo 12W LED last week. It was a very pleasant experience; the light is excellent, battery capacity magnificent, and the handle seems just fine. I'm diving in cold Scandinavian waters, and the elastic handle works very well with my 6mm 3-finger mitts. The light pretty much just stays in place on top of my hand. I'm not sure, however, whether it is quite as practical if diving without mitts or gloves.

Overall, the Salvo seems rock solid and has a very practical size. Nothing negative to report so far.

The Salvo has a much narrower and more uniform beam than the dive rite meaning it will penetrate farther. Also, you can get a hard handle for the salvo for a decent price, or you can easily make your own. In my opinion the Salvo lights are built better and are more durable than the dive rite lights.

My Salvo 12w is on the way....

Thanks
Phil

I have a Salvo 12W LED and have been irritated by it popping out of the Goodman handle. The subject of hose clamps came up on a discussion over on the Scuba Toys board, so I tried one, a stainless steel 1 9/16"-2 1/2" clamp from McMaster-Carr. The two pieces are now one solid unit. I don't see any downsides and sent a description to Salvo. I'm curious to see what they think of the idea.

Since I took a picture of the hose clamp for another forum...

(unable to upload picture--I'll try again later)

Last edited:
Thanks Ron.... I used the SS clamp idea and just added one thing. I put a piece of Inndertube around the light head. Even with just the innertube the handle hold MUCH better on the light head. You can actually rotate the head to turn it on and off without it just rotating in the clip for the handle. I also put the SS clamp around it just to make sure that it does not go anywhere...

Thanks again Ron...

IMG_5626copy.jpg

Phil

Back
Top Bottom