DPVs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warhammer

Reaction score
I finally got a chance to test drive a DPV this weekend and all I can say is, "WOW! I'z gotz to have me one those baby's!". You want to know how to turn a borring quarry dive into a great dive? Tour it on a DPV! Who needs fins! For those of you that haven't tried it yet, it's must do.

Now for you old salts, what's a good DPV for a poor man? And what's considered top of the line? Any do's and don'ts when DPV shopping?

The top of the line and the only scooter allowed for use during WKPP project dives (that's enough of an endorsement(sp?) for me). But they are not cheap and it is my understanding that a used one is almost as much as a new one. The cost is 3k - 5k (I think) and the waiting list for a new one is long. When buying used the things I would look at most intensely are: 1) body and bulkhead integerity, 2) battery burn time (should very close to manufacturer specs. if not the batteries could be dying, batteries go quick and cost beaucuop bucks), 3) engine power and prop thrust should be up to manufacture specs., 4) overall quality of parts and materials. If you can't afford or find a Gavin then try an Oceanic Mako.

Hope this is helpful.

Later,
Sam

P.S. George Irvine is the best source for Gavin scooters. I believe he actually makes them.

Originally posted by svs3
The top of the line and the only scooter allowed for use during WKPP project dives (that's enough of an endorsement(sp?) for me).

P.S. George Irvine is the best source for Gavin scooters. I believe he actually makes them.

Hmmmmmmm, now that's ironic, isn't it? Probably just a coincidence that the leader of DIR makes the only DIR approved scooter.

Thanks for the info though. The one I used was a Dacor. I'm a ways from buying one though, but they are a blast to ride.

If you are looking for a reliable "all business" DPV, look into Farallon or Gavin. If you want to have fun, check out the K-10 Hydrospeeder. The K-10 has many pluses and minuses, if you are truely interested, contact me and I'll give you the scoop!

Mario S Caner
DPV test diver/instrucor/configuration-engineer

but no one has ever gotten rich making DPVs. Also it was their need for good gear that led to the founding of Extreme Exposure and Halycon.

I might be mistaken but originally the design was by Bill Gavin, one of the original members of the WKKP (I believe), for the US Navy special diving operations with many of the originals still in use (rebuilt and refurbished as required of course). The design is at least a decade old and as proven as any in the world. These are the same scooters that are regularly used by the WPPK for their 18,000+ linear ft cave penetrations and the 1999 Britannic Expedition which included regular dives to 450 fsw with no deaths, DCS hits, or scooter failures.

But I would certainly concede that for simple OW diving a 110 min burn time 2.5 kt. scooter is overkill. In addition to the Mako, I've heard good things about the Tekna (I think that's the name of it).

Sam

Mario...You forgot to add extraordinair on the end. :) I'll end up with 1 in my garage before long but not right now, my wife would divorce me. For my purpose, a mid-range DPV would be fine. All I'd do is play on it and wouldn't be in a situation where loosing it would be that bad.

svs3...I didn't mean that the Gavin wasn't as good as you said, I'm sure it is. I just find it ironic that the very guy that pushes it and just about all DIR gear, is also the maker of it, that's all.

If you like the gavins you'll love the Silent Submersion scooters. They may not look different outside, but inside the SS scooters are lightyears ahead of the gavins. I have seen and used both. Silent submersion will refit your current scooter, and can also offer different size body tubes for longer running time. When I get the cash, I am going to have my DV3x done. This is more than my 2cents, this is first hand experience

Warhammer
An ex-girlfriend once told me that I could either keep her or my (excessive) dive gear. I still miss her, but my aim is getting better! LOL!

Don't mess with a man's toys!

Mario,

so if at the next dive, we see an 18-wheeler pulling up to the dive site, we can be assured it's just you and the "bare minimum" of gear?

Yeppers that's me! The Big Rig with the retinal scanner and voice recognition entry system... this way I don't have to worry about losing my keys during the dive.

Perhaps I should add a special chili cooking and pepper drying area for some of you 'cow-folk' whom would like to be my guest on it from time to time heh... I do have some room left on the second floor, it won't be any trouble... no really!

Go big or go home! Hey isn't that a Texan's way of life?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom