DPVs and Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello,

I have used a variety of DPVs over the years in SE Florida (Tekna, Dacor and Rebikoff Remora DPVs) and I can never remember any unusual shark behavior or particular interest. I was out yesterday doing some shallow free diving on a 50 ft. reef and playing with a Seedoo VS scooter (I know but it was at a great price!). On the way back I started to have some issues with the unit and was preoccupied with it and not scanning my surroundings as I normally do.

I did notice about a dozen people on the beach staring at me, for reasons that weren't particularly clear. Anyway, they said a couple of sharks were cruising close to me at points. I had come from about a 1/2 mile offshore so it is possible but outside my experience with DPVs in the past. If I was on an Aqueon, I would expect it as those things kick out an acoustic signature that seems to drive higher predators nuts. It might have just been a fluke but has anyone else experienced shark interest while using DPV's particularly the Seadoo?

Thanks,
Rick

Anecdotal wisdom is that sharks are somewhat interested in scooters and HID can lights. Personally I haven't seen this behavior but I don't have much scooter time around concentrations of sharks.

...Perhaps the sound of the electronics? I've had a shark really, really interested in a strobe. Enough to send it back to Ikelite for a rebuild.

Regardless, here's an guy on a scooter that was bit by a shark. Well written and factual, plus an entertaining addendum.

All the best, James

fdog:
Anecdotal wisdom is that sharks are somewhat interested in scooters and HID can lights. Personally I haven't seen this behavior but I don't have much scooter time around concentrations of sharks.

...Perhaps the sound of the electronics? I've had a shark really, really interested in a strobe. Enough to send it back to Ikelite for a rebuild.

Regardless, here's an guy on a scooter that was bit by a shark. Well written and factual, plus an entertaining addendum.

All the best, James

Great now even the sharks are Anti DIR :wink:

Shot in the dark here: maybe it's the electricals and not the noise. Aren't sharks sensitive to electrical fields?

When I'm trailing/trolling behind my scooter, I always here the words of the charter boat captain. "Big baits, Big fish"

Back
Top Bottom