DPV: training.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Learner Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Is the training methods different for recreational and technical divers? I like the idea of using a scooter and think they are similar to using a jet ski. I've seen images of cave divers using them, as I have seen recreational divers using them. How different is the training and what is the course duration?

My experience with a scooter was at Stuart Cove's in the Bahamas over 10 years ago during their advertised "DPV Dive".

While there is an option to take a (useless) course, it's not required. I didn't bother. They showed me the controls and went over the basics which took about 10-15 minutes and then we hopped on the boat and proceeded to the dive site where I did one (or maybe it was two) dives exploring the walls and even driving through a couple of narrow openings from reef, out through the wall and back again.

I did a few more DPV dives more recently during a Belize live-aboard trip where there were 2 scooters available to divers at all times. They weren't used all that much, and I can understand why. You see a lot more and I think it's a better "zen" experience without the motorized equipment but they can be a benefit when you've got a lot of ground to cover, say on a large wreck or on a wreck trek or to cover a large reef.

The learning curve is steep, I would guesstimate about 5 minutes from novice to pro.

About the only "take-aways" worth repeating here are the following:

1- watch the battery charge so you don't have to deal with a dead scooter that will need to be either left behind and marked with an SMB to be retrieved later, or towed back to your entry point (obviously not relevant in a "live boat" dive).

2- watch the fast depth changes that are too easy to do, which could blow out your ears.

3- if you plan to buy, keep in mind how long it lasts on a full charge, what sort of a load it can carry, and how fast it will go, among other less important features (dry weight, ease of battery charge and replacement, built in lights, camera, buoyancy controls).

Video below was taken with the Sea-Bob's built in camera. It expires in 2 days according to the website I uploaded it to. Will repost upon request or maybe someone can recommend a free video hosting site that doesn't expire in 2 freaking days.

To be controversial, DPVs don't need training :cool:

You'll learn quite quickly where you need to be careful -- depth changes, adjusting wing, drysuit and loop. Also it's pretty straightforward to learn to control the beast and how to clip it off when not using it, e.g. at deco. Jumping in and getting out is just a matter of trial and error as is adjusting the tow cord.

You can learn to use a recreational level DPV quickly. My cave DPV training was much more intensive. I had to learn how to do an air share while on scooter. Towing someone with a dead scooter is more of a challenge than you might think. When scootering in a cave with silt, your scooter can stir things up so much you cannot see your way out of the cave and have to use the line--you need to be aware of what your scooter is going to do and adjust your hold on it accordingly. . You have to plan your dive carefully--take your scooter too far into a cave and have it fail, and you won't make it out.

In Ginnie Springs a few years ago, two highly trained and experienced divers took their scooters deep into the cave and went into a silty dive tunnel. The whole tunnel silted out. One of them got out and waited a while for the other to come out. After a while, she headed back to the entrance to get help. He eventually came out without his scooter, because it was buried about 1/3 of the way in silt and he couldn't get it out. With no help in sight, he started to swim back. He almost made it. Once the recovery team got his scooter out of the silt, it worked fine.

With no help in sight, he started to swim back. He almost made it. Once the recovery team got his scooter out of the silt, it worked fine.

Did he come out alive or was he a recovery?

A DPV won't make up for poor fundamental skills, more like highlight them.

If your buoyancy isn't good enough for a stationary hover then it's not time for a DPV.

I don't personally believe that open water needs training but I recognize that people have and will continue to die using them in open water because they haven't learned the emergency procedures.

Like many things, when everything is going fine one doesn't need to know much about how to dive a DPV. In five minutes everyone can do it.

However, not always everything is going fine and **** can happens. In such cases, it is beneficial to have some knowledge what to do. DPV isn't different. Things to consider: how react to various malfunctions (flooding, power stuck on, dead batteries, entanglement, towing buddy, etc.). For some, common sense is sufficient ("Don't stick fingers in rotating thing"). Others require instruction/explanation/training. Since I don't know what I don't know, I prefer seeking guidance where I can practice, ask questions, learn to assemble and disassemble stuff etc.

Lastly, some countries apparently have a trigger-happy lawsuit culture. In these, getting in trouble and not having the proper certification may lead to problems even if it has nothing to do with it.

You can learn to use a recreational level DPV quickly. My cave DPV training was much more intensive. I had to learn how to do an air share while on scooter. Towing someone with a dead scooter is more of a challenge than you might think. When scootering in a cave with silt, your scooter can stir things up so much you cannot see your way out of the cave and have to use the line--you need to be aware of what your scooter is going to do and adjust your hold on it accordingly. . You have to plan your dive carefully--take your scooter too far into a cave and have it fail, and you won't make it out.
True, a tech/cave DPV course is something totally different from an rec course. I did GUE DPV 1 and IANTD DPV. Learned a lot. Some buddy's did rec DPV and did not learn all the stuff you mentioned. However, they can rent the same DPV as me.

The question is: what is your goal? Able to rent a DPV or learn to dive a DPV?

Back
Top Bottom