DPV 1 course report with Steve Blanchard May 2,3,10 QC/ON, Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't like the idea of clipping it to the chest. Too much business on that d-ring already without adding a scooter to mix.

I do not like the Idea of the chest ring as in some scenarious you have too much staff there : primary reg, backup light, primary light and if you add a scooter especially that has 10" body it adds a lot of clutter. And it does not protect from accidental run away anyways and as I can see it even makes it worth as you do not see what is happening with the scooter.
If you pin the trigger and let it go you at least can see it at all times.

depitching it is quicker than putting the pin in it (esp if its dark). I usually just let it go though.

if I need both hands I just drop it. as does most everyone I know.
if you have a smaller scooter you can get a little cuter with it. but I dont think it's needed

I don't like the idea of clipping it to the chest. Too much business on that d-ring already without adding a scooter to mix.
Works fine with the smaller scooters but its not worth the trouble unless there's current. We do this on drifting decos.

I was taught never to let go of a scooter if it wasn't secured in some way. If what I am doing can be done with one hand, I just hold it; if it requires two hands, the nose gets clipped off to my right chest d-ring.

There's a time and a place for everything, including dropping an unsecured scooter. The real threat is that the tow cord will wrap the trigger and turn it on. This is mostly a problem for the Xs. The SS and Gavin triggers don't have this issue (they have different ones).

I have heard of the between the knees thing and honestly that's just substituting uncontrolled fins and dropping knees for an unsecured scooter - which I can at least keep in front of me.

There's a time and a place for everything, including dropping an unsecured scooter. The real threat is that the tow cord will wrap the trigger and turn it on. This is mostly a problem for the Xs. The SS and Gavin triggers don't have this issue (they have different ones)

I drive a Cuda 650 and the trigger is easy to activate with the tow cord, it happened to me, luckily it was aimed down, a foot away from the bottom.

If I need both hands it will be locked before I let it go.

Plus, if the cord does wrap the trigger, good luck stopping it without creating a HUGE issue. I like the crotch strap better than the chest dring, although I admittedly don't use either for a quick use of both hands.

I am not a fan of temporary clipping off a DPV to any D ring. Keeping it under control slightly bellow to the right is very efficient. If diving in high flow, I prefer to have my buddy hold it for me, if it is necessary. Some situations need smart improvising :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom