Question Downsizing from FF to either a6600 or RX100 VII

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, thanks, I been there long ago had a Oly E-M5 and great lenses before it all grew and GREW it did way out of proportion. The thing Mu43 has not really been developed much more and the tech shows its age now. It was great 7 years ago or so.
But yes it was light weight and quite good image quality. Thanks for revitalizing memories :)

Thanks, its not just the housing itself, its the entire setup, FF glass weighs a LOT more. The idea is giving up on FF entirely even topside. Keep in mind I backpack around the globe and airline restrictions for carry on have gotten a real pain as well, besides carrying the gear around. I don't just plop down in a dive resort, and have a sherpa lug it there for me. :)
One can use any Sony FF camera essentially the same way as a compact: 28-60 kit lens plus WA wetlens and SMC for macro. Especially A7c will make a great rig and the photographic capabilities (with respect to WA, normal range and macro) are similar to a similar equipped compact, but IQ is much better...

On the other side, when you downscale to APS-C (or MFT), but built an entire system around camera/housing, i.e. different lenses (macro, normal range, WA, fisheye ...) plus dome(s), port(s) and water contact optics (WWL, WAPC etc...) etc. etc... , the savings in weight/size will not be as substantial as you may want...

Wolfgang

Funny, I've been considering the opposite. I've been shooting a Sony a6500 in a Nauticam housing with two Z330 strobes, and the 16-50 kit lens plus WWL-1 for wide angle, and the Sony 90mm macro lens (and it's associated port and port adapter) for macro (I also have the CMC-2 that I used before I got the 90mm). I have the a7RIV for topside and have always wanted to get it wet, but it'd cost me over $6K to do so, and everything just seems bigger and heavier. So, that bug usually last a few weeks and then it's gone when I see the relatively decent results I get from the a6500 with a much smaller and lighter footprint (which still is heavy to carry internationally). I may actually go back to the 16-50 plus CMC-2 for macro and ditch the 90mm and its needed port and port adapter setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom