Dove with a BP/W for the first time! Comments in here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j3rmzh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
After piecing a few things together I was able to put together my first BP/W set-up on Wednesday it went really well, I dove it once yesterday and twice today and I have to say it was really amazing.

The rig: OMS SS backplate, HOG harness, 36# halcyon pioneer wing, I mainly dive single AL80's, wet

Initial Impressions
The Good
1- I have it set up right now with a simple HOG harness, once I hit the water I could almost not feel it at all, it was ridiculously easy to don and doff, just put it right on (totally amazing) and once its on you can't feel it at all.

2- I was able to take 10 pounds off my belt (granted I was probably overweighted before) the lack of bells and whistles that are on some BC's really make a huge difference in buoyancy!

3- Less drag, for some reason, I didn't think this was going to be noticeable but boy was it amazing, it literally felt like I had nothing on me I just flew through the water

4- because of the above, I didnt use up my air nearly as fast

The Bad
Somewhat awkward trying to figure out where to place my weight belt, I think I am going to try and pick up some ACB pockets to do the integrated weights thing to solve this issue.

which leads me to one question, I have a weight belt with XS scuba pockets, is it not a good idea to just thread those directly onto the harness? it would not be "quick release" like pull a lever and your there, but they do have a velcro flap..

As to your weight issue, the amount of weight required when I dive my steel tanks and BP/W rig doesn't constitute much of an issue, but what I've done to acommodate my weights is what you suggest above. I use the Dive Rite pouches on my waist strap as a sort of "intergrated" weight system. By doing this, I can shift all of the weight behind me in order to optimize my trim.

the K

...I was able to put together my first BP/W set-up on Wednesday it went really well,

"Soon, your transition to the Dark Side will be complete!"

darth_vader_closeup.jpg

You can thread the pouches onto the harness, but they'll get in the way of your can light . . . :)

consider threading them onto your cam straps.

I have a belt with the xs pockets and thread them on upside down. Now usually I never have more than 4lbs to a pocket and use soft weights and they don't want to come out. But if necessary I could ditch quickly that way since I wear my belt under the crotch strap. I also have the buckle offset so that it does not interfere with the harness buckle. If you're not using a can light yet (trust me you will at some point now that you've started the crossing over) you could put them on the harness if you want. Otherwise the cam straps are a good place. How attached are you to the idea of ditchable weights. If you work on your buoyancy with the rig and get it down ditchable weights will not be an issue. The only time I use them is with an al80 on vacation with my 5 mil. Then it's only about 4 lbs. Otherwise with the BPW and steel plate I don't need any weight as I dive steels exclusively at home. And if I'm dry I'm in steel doubles, either 72's or 85's or 95's. In any of those cases extra weight is not needed.

Congratulations on your experience! After using my Oxycheq BP/W/Hog harness setup, I will never go back to anything else for my own personal use.

Since I don't use any weight with steel 100 tanks, and only use 4-6 lbs. of weight on vacation with aluminum 80 tanks, I mount my XS Quick Attach (not quick release) pockets on my cam bands. I distribute the weight between the top right cam band and the bottom left cam band, and have the pockets as close to the BP as possible. I can easily swim the rig to the surface since I'm almost neutrally buoyant. In other words, for recreational diving, I do not feel strongly about needing to have ditchable weight for my setup, my purposes, and my skill levels.

If I need to carry significantly more weight for dry suit diving (if needed, but rare), I will distribute my weight between XS pockets on my harness belt and my cam bands, with all weight being as close to the BP as possible. Remember, you don't need to dump all weight to get positively buoyant.

If you practice enough with XS pockets mounted in the upright (normal) position on your harness belt, you can pull the flap up and dump the weight very quickly, especially if you are using soft weights that you can pinch between two or three fingers and your thumb, and then pull upward. I can dump the regular XS pockets almost, if not just as quickly as the XS quick release pockets. I don't use a canister light or crotch strap for single tank diving, so placement options for weight pockets is not a problem.

Some will disagree with my methods, but these choices are very personal ones. When I teach, I use standard weight belts and weight-integrated BCDs to keep it simple for my students. They can make their own individual decisions as they gain more experience.

Hope this info helps.

Back
Top Bottom