Doubles, Weight and Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your basic open water instructor should have taught you the difference between ditchable weight and nonditchable weight, and how to compute the minimum ditchable weight. Too bad.:no
Why don't you break it down for me what exactly is unsafe about diving with doubles and a drysuit.

Why don't you break it down for me what exactly is unsafe about diving with doubles and a drysuit.

Because I don't get paid to be your remedial instructor. I think it is a pity when divers end up with a shortage of proper training.

If you are going to dive dangerously, you should at least be able to state why yourself.

Because I don't get paid to be your remedial instructor. I think it is a pity when divers end up with a shortage of proper training.

If you are going to dive dangerously, you should at least be able to state why yourself.
You've already spent more time name calling and avoiding the question than it would take to answer the simple question-

"Why is it dangerous to dive with doubles and a drysuit?"

Here is my thought, Use the AL Backplate instead of the SS, dive with the belt and play with the weight. After I drain the tanks, I can mess around with weight and even try different undergarments. Once I get the weight dialed in in the Quarry I can make some educated guesses in salt. I just didn't want to do a Dirt Dart but that doesn't sound like it would be the case.
Good approach. I will share some personal experiences, which may be relevant. I dive double 120s, with a SS BP. In fresh water, I need no added weight. In salt water I am on the edge, but OK. If I add a can light (and a couple of back-up lights), a spool, a couple of deco bottles, etc. in fresh water, the term 'dirt dart' is not altogether unfamiliar. In salt water I am just about OK. But, other than my deco bottles, I have little truly 'ditchable' weight beyond my rig, and that gives me some pause. I have toyed with the idea of using my AL BP in fresh water, and my SS in salt water. I fully appreciate what you are trying to work out - how to have some ditchable weight, while diving the 130s. Not an easy challenge. I have concluded that I am OK without the truly 'ditchable' weight (e.g. weight on a belt, or weights in my pockets), and work to have redundant bouyancy (dual bladders when diving wet, lift bag and safety sausage) to the extent possible.

I fully appreciate what you are trying to work out - how to have some ditchable weight, while diving the 130s. Not an easy challenge. I have concluded that I am OK without the truly 'ditchable' weight (e.g. weight on a belt, or weights in my pockets), and work to have redundant bouyancy (dual bladders when diving wet, lift bag and safety sausage) to the extent possible.
Ditchable weight is good and I like the idea but I was more concerned with contingencies. Lets say I were into the dive a few minutes and I have a failure in the wing, I have my drysuit, but can it get me up while swimming? I think so but I like as many options as possible so I have rigged so that I have a 50# lift bag as well, Just in case. If nothing more, it makes me feel better.

I haven't even tackled the additional cylinders yet. I have 2 80's and a 40 ready to sling but one step at a time. Master one skill and move to the next.

The quarry this weekend was a trip, we spent the entire 2 days deploying bags, practicing buoyancy, shooting up sausages, running lines, Navigating, tweaking trim, etc... It was a great time.

Thanks for your input!
Scooter

I have found that a neutrally weighted DPV takes the place of an upline quite easily. Therefore I now only carry one upline and spool, as a backup to my DPV for drift deco ascents.

This is cutting edge procedure, but it works wonderfully.

I am quite glad I did not need to wait for JJ to think of this and approve it, unlike the GUE-DIRs must. I like freedom in techdiving.

I have found that a neutrally weighted DPV takes the place of an upline quite easily. Therefore I now only carry one upline and spool, as a backup to my DPV for drift deco ascents.

This is cutting edge procedure, but it works wonderfully.

I am quite glad I did not need to wait for JJ to think of this and approve it, unlike the GUE-DIRs must. I like freedom in techdiving.
Ahh now we're bashing JJ and GUE, yet avoiding answering the question of why double steel tanks are dangerous when worn with redundant bouyancy via a drysuit.

JJ has explained his methods without namecalling. He's taken his system to the most extreme levels of diving (Britanic and WKPP).... If you don't want to dive his way, then don't, but he's explained his system, and you haven't stepped up to the plate and explained yours.

My open water and cavern instructor was JJ's full cave instructor. They disagree on **tons** of things, even down to the storage of their long hose, but they both explain their reasoning, and I can respect that.

Again, I'm not trying to "call you out" or anything here, but you're going around telling people they're unsafe divers, and haven't answered why yet. If you're going to call people unsafe divers, criticize training agencies, etc, at least provide reasoning to why your way is better.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom