Double PST E-8's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgarysmith

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anybody have any experience with double set up of PST E-8 119's They seem to be the only steel tanks available right now. Since I already own 1 and have the manifold already, shoiuld I double them. I currently have double Al 8o's I use for no deco diving. I will use the E-8 119's the same way, ut will be taking advanced Nitrox and Tech classes soon. I want to get experience diving with bigger doubles before I start. Any comments by anyone whose has themk or suggestions.

The LP_95's were (and still are) a popular cylinder for doubles. The E8-119's replaces those. I really hate this question. If you have been diving the 119, and you like em, then go for it. I tried the 95's, and found that I did not like them. The cylinders were too short for me, when gearing up on the boat, and I didnt like how they behaved underwater (trim, and such). I dive with Faber 112's, they are longer than the 119's, and comfortable for me. If I had to choose PST cylinders, I would go with the 130's (yes, I know they are sold out). So, the key is to try them out first, see if you like them as doubles, then decide.

jgarysmith:
Anybody have any experience with double set up of PST E-8 119's They seem to be the only steel tanks available right now. Since I already own 1 and have the manifold already, shoiuld I double them. I currently have double Al 8o's I use for no deco diving. I will use the E-8 119's the same way, ut will be taking advanced Nitrox and Tech classes soon. I want to get experience diving with bigger doubles before I start. Any comments by anyone whose has themk or suggestions.

I have the E8-119. I have them twined up on a BP/W set up with a Halcyon 55# wing. I dive cold with a dry suit.

My height is 5'9" which means the shorter tanks are really nice for trim and while I am setting up on shore. They strap on real easy on my tailgate with me standing upright. I've seen the E7s in the same size and they are too tall for me.

I don't have any complaints at all with my set up. Hope this helps.

Henry

Thanks Henry,
It does help. I am 5'10 and when I dive the single 119 I have no trim problems. I was just wondering if 2 119's would be too much to handle. They seem to be the ideal tank. If you can nlot get a full Hp fill to 3442(which I never get) you still get plenty of air. They also don't seem to big as compared to some of the LP tanks I have seen in the 120 range. I am considering the Halycion Explore. Do you have any complaints with yours? I am going to go with the 55 Explorer.

jgarysmith:
Thanks Henry,
It does help. I am 5'10 and when I dive the single 119 I have no trim problems. I was just wondering if 2 119's would be too much to handle. They seem to be the ideal tank. If you can nlot get a full Hp fill to 3442(which I never get) you still get plenty of air. They also don't seem to big as compared to some of the LP tanks I have seen in the 120 range. I am considering the Halycion Explore. Do you have any complaints with yours? I am going to go with the 55 Explorer.

In my opinion, diving twins is taking small steps towards the tech world. Twins are ideal while diving nitrox and you are on a long extended dive. The nitrox will give you more bottom time and twins will allow ample gas plus reserve.

The local wrecks which sit at about 140 on the bottom, need enough gas for me dive safely and still allow for large reserve for any obligations that may arise.

I am a fairly strong guy and having dove the twins for the last 60 dives or so. I would not dive singles again unless I am renting in the tropics.

I do not have any complaints about my Halcyon at all. It is a great BC and I wish I had bought it to start with instead of upgrading to it.

Oh well.
Henry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom